car takes FFOORREEVVEERR to warm up...

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
my car takes atleast 10 minutes to warm up (for the needle to reach slightly less than half on the temp gauge) after driving around, even if i let it idle for a while before driving. If i just let it idle, it'll take as much as 20 minutes...

is this bad, or nothing to worry about?

i also know my gauge works, because once my car was overheating, and trust me, it was rising...

i've checked all my fluids, i also flushed my radiator earlier today (havent run it since then though, ill check tomorrow).

what i've noticed also is my car idles at 1.2-1.5 until the needle's in the normal warm position, then it drops to 700, but i know that's semi normal...

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
A bit more explanation. Your thermostat is what keeps your coolant from circulating from your engine through your radiator until it's hot enough to open the thermostat. Sounds like yours has frozen in the open position, meaning that coolant is always circulating, and therefore it's cold longer than normal.

Lucky for you, thermostats are cheap, can be had at virtually any parts shop (though I personally buy Toyota for these) and can be changed in under 5 minutes with a couple tools in your own garage. :)

mattjk

Permanent Ban
May 18, 2006
Huntington Beach
www.cardomain.com
OK, so I had the same problem but on my 1jz... I thought my t-stat was worn out so I bought a new 2jz t-stat and samco radiator hoses from Driftmotion and installed them this morning.

I pull off the water neck and there is NO t-stat inside! :aigo: Stupid owner in japan must have removed it.

Anyhow, warms up fine now. :love:

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Syris said:
how do you break a thermostat?

I dunno but it broke lol. It might have just been a coincidence that it broke around the same time i took it off and put it back in. At first I thought it was just too cold outside or that toyota coolent is godly. lol. Got a new one and it runs just fine now.

aznwaterboy

Swap never finished
Feb 5, 2006
Bay Area, California
yea most likely its a stuck thermostat so that it keeps on flowing coolant even though your engine isn't up to operating temp. when it takes forever for your car to warm up, its most likely thermostat

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
GrimJack said:
A bit more explanation. Your thermostat is what keeps your coolant from circulating from your engine through your radiator until it's hot enough to open the thermostat. Sounds like yours has frozen in the open position, meaning that coolant is always circulating, and therefore it's cold longer than normal.

This is much better than having a thermostat stuck in the closed position, ask me how I know... :aigo: