Car insurance for my MKIII.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I have a 1991 Supra turbo. I just called my insurance company to see what my monthly premiums would be. They told me it was going to be $149.02 for six month of coverage added to my policy. That's $24.84/month. Does that sound about right to you guys? What are you guys coughing up a month?

This is for liability only with uninsured/underinsured motorist, roadside assistance & towing. $250 deductible.

roadboy

Supra Owner
Jan 22, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
...im in canada...and state farm is asking 350 with g2..not sure what im paying after i got my g because i havent activated it back yet. and thats liability

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Sounds about right for liability only although you didn't state the limits. Mine was around that for two cars with double what the state requires. 75% of the premium was for the daily driven Supra while the other car was a weekend only thing. Not sure what your deductible is about though.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I have full coverage on the Supra, a $50 deductible on comprehensive, $500 collision, forgot medical coverage, but its not the lowest, not the highest. I pay ~$230 for 6 months on the Supra. Geico and literally a perfect driving record.

Come to think of it I should really set it to storage only since it wont be driven with the wire harness sitting on my workbench for the next few weeks/months...

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
aloshan;1782890 said:
e
+1 you guys r so lucky.under my parents name it still costs me $2300 a year or about 200 a month.if i had taken it under my name it woulda cost me $3800!

Don't get any tickets or accidents and I'm sure as you get older it will plummet. (Assuming you're still under ~22.)

MKIIISupraGuy

Sep 14, 2009
Lousy-ana
I have state farm and they get 33 bucks a month. Max liability coverage with uninsured motorist and zero deductible. Perfect driving record.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
dam i think its about $1k evry 6mnths for me. I drive an N/A though so cheaper insurance :p, and i was put on insurance at 16 as the primary driver of my car.. Now im 18 almost 19 and it hasnt gone down much. No tickets or accidents.

Clint

AzSupras
Apr 4, 2005
Mesa, Arizona, United States
I just put collector car insurance on mine, benefits of being over the age of 25yrs old.

I'm paying $42 a month for full coverage and zero deduction
along with no emissions (in my county). I have the cars value set at 20k and if anything happens to the car I'm covered only draw back is I am restricted to 3000 miles a year.

That doesn't bother me as I rarely put 2000 miles on the car in a year (weekend driving only for me) plus I get roll over miles, I have to provide a odometer reading every year.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
xzeror;1782976 said:
dam i think its about $1k evry 6mnths for me. I drive an N/A though so cheaper insurance :p, and i was put on insurance at 16 as the primary driver of my car.. Now im 18 almost 19 and it hasnt gone down much. No tickets or accidents.

The biggest drop in insurance price is somewhere right around 25. That's why most rental car places won't let people rent under 25 withtout at least extra charges, sometimes not at all!

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
I'm 19 and still on my parents insurance, I forget what they pay for me as a driver, but I pay the difference of adding my supra. for liability and towing its $68 every 6 moths. But that's from USAA and they give out tons of discounts for stuff like: you get a credit card from them, open a savings account, invest money, buy other insurance, ect...

suprasick

Hey look...a Supra!
Mar 17, 2006
Milton, Washington
When I added liability to my supra my policy went down $7 per month!!! Through Progressive... The agent said the reasoning behind it is that I am less likely to drive my fully covered Durango, so in there eyes less risk for them! This was awesome! Oh just for kicks.... when I was 16-19 my na supras premium was $350 a month! For liability!(the 4 tickets didn't help) Now married, and 23, three cars covered with full coverage on one is only $125 a month through progressive! (keep in mind 0 tickets in three years helps) I also swear I talked to Flo when I called Progressive... or maybe they train all of their employees to talk like her lol

Last edited:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Zerocool;1782979 said:
I just put collector car insurance on mine, benefits of being over the age of 25yrs old.

I'm paying $42 a month for full coverage and zero deduction
along with no emissions (in my county). I have the cars value set at 20k and if anything happens to the car I'm covered only draw back is I am restricted to 3000 miles a year.

That doesn't bother me as I rarely put 2000 miles on the car in a year (weekend driving only for me) plus I get roll over miles, I have to provide a odometer reading every year.
You know, that odometer thing always seemed silly to me on an older car... You're still with USAA, right? I need to look into a flat rate policy for mine next year, might even do what you've done with the collector route, as I won't be using the 87 for winter driving on account of the body work and condition of the car... Don't want to risk the stray idiot factor when the roads get slick like they do.

I think I'm paying between $15-20 per month, with liability and comprehensive, not sure of my limits though. Helps to have 2 cars on the same policy (with Progressive), and once I bought a house they dropped the rate significantly, despite my homeowner insurance being carried with another company.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I was hoping someone with collector car insurance would chime in. I was wondering if it was worth it. Only thing is I know for a fact I'm going to be putting about 6-7K mile a year on this car, so that wouldn't work out for me.

Clint

AzSupras
Apr 4, 2005
Mesa, Arizona, United States
te72;1783007 said:
You know, that odometer thing always seemed silly to me on an older car... You're still with USAA, right? I need to look into a flat rate policy for mine next year, might even do what you've done with the collector route, as I won't be using the 87 for winter driving on account of the body work and condition of the car... Don't want to risk the stray idiot factor when the roads get slick like they do.

I think I'm paying between $15-20 per month, with liability and comprehensive, not sure of my limits though. Helps to have 2 cars on the same policy (with Progressive), and once I bought a house they dropped the rate significantly, despite my homeowner insurance being carried with another company.

I use USAA for my primary insurance, with the supra I am using a referred insurance company from USAA, American Modern Insurance Group. I like them so far and my rate will never change unless I modify my police which I am happy with so far, I have 100mi towing, road side assistance, free windshield/glass replacement, and 100k of damage coverage in case of property damage.

Suprapowaz!(2);1783018 said:
I was hoping someone with collector car insurance would chime in. I was wondering if it was worth it. Only thing is I know for a fact I'm going to be putting about 6-7K mile a year on this car, so that wouldn't work out for me.

I think it’s worth it for me, my supra is a garage queen and has been since 2007. If you’re like me and don’t drive your supra more than the 3k a year and can balance any roll over mileage you would incur then it would be perfect.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
I've driven my Supra 17k+ miles in 2011. And that's with the tags being expired since the end of October.

How would the insurers know if you were to turn back the dial a bit.... :)