can you max out a stock FPR with a walbro 255

materchan

Mar 31, 2006
bay area
i am having troubles with my fuel pressure. it is right around 60psi at idle. im thinking that it's because diameter of the passages of stock FPR cant return enough fuel to the return line, and thats why im getting about 60psi of pressure. it might be fine with a stock pump but with the walbro 255, the FPR just cant keep up. has anyone seen this problem before, i am going to test some random nissan FPR's to see if i can get a decent fuel pressure at idle. thanks for the help

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
There are some cases that when people use the 255 with the stock FPR the pump will blow up the regulator, be careful, I sugest getting an aeromotive AFPR kit ;).

xanatos

Jan 18, 2007
Norcross, GA
In agreement with Sawbladz. It's most likely your J-Tube if you haven't bypassed or drilled it. I'd recommend just bypassing it to take it out of the equation all together. Do a search for J-Tube (or jtube) bypass and you should find plenty of info on this. Aftermarket FPR's flow much more and the J-Tube restriction doesn't allow the fuel to return to the tank quickly enough. The FPR should have nothing to do with this as once the pressure is reached, the additional fuel should be then sent to back to the tank if I'm not mistaken. The J-Tube acts as a pseudo back-up FPR in case your FPR fails. This restriction however abnormally increases the fuel pressure if you are running an aftermarket hi-flow pump.

materchan

Mar 31, 2006
bay area
yeah i already threw out the j tube, but now i am running a 280zx turbo FPR and my pressure is nice and good now, its ID was about 1/4" while the inside of the supra FPR looked like 1/8" or so.