camshaft position sensor

piotrek

May 8, 2009
murfreesboro tn
does anybody have and idea of correct position of camshaft position sensor at top dead center ?. when timing is set to 10 deg adv engine runs like crap with a lot of hesitation. i used old sensor on jdm 7mgte and aligned it roughly the same as jdm sensor. i could not get proper adjustment at this position. turned rotor 180 deg and i could set it to 10 deg but no performance. need help since i tested all ignition components that could be checked and all were in spec. i even tired jdm sensor but the results were the same. something else that is troubling is when timing light is connected it occasionally skips or shows 5 degrees adv at random. could it be the igniter or maybe ecu? I already posted similar thread but got no response. does anybody even has a clue what i am talking about or is this problem too complicated for a response? I think this is a legit question. i did the swap myself.

piotrek

May 8, 2009
murfreesboro tn
according to the link my cps is in correct position but this does not explain why i cannot adjust my timing to 10 deg adv. i did some machining to the sensor housing slot a i got it to 14 deg adv. also i still don't know why when timing light is connected it skips plus at random it will show 5 deg adv. any ideas?

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
I'ts probably a tooth out. Sometimes it can fight proper alignment, due to helical cut gears. I've also heard discussion of the crank pulley getting wonky due to the rubber shifting. That would give false alignment info as well. gl.

Last edited:

Kb865supra

May 2, 2009
Yakima, WA
piotrek;1324536 said:
according to the link my cps is in correct position but this does not explain why i cannot adjust my timing to 10 deg adv. i did some machining to the sensor housing slot a i got it to 14 deg adv. also i still don't know why when timing light is connected it skips plus at random it will show 5 deg adv. any ideas?

Timing light skips around? Did you short out the TE1 and E1 pins on the check connector to put it in base timing?

piotrek

May 8, 2009
murfreesboro tn
NewWestSupras;1324570 said:
I'ts probably a tooth out. Sometimes it can fight proper alignment, due to helical cut gears. I've also heard discussion of the crank pulley getting wonky due to the rubber shifting. That would give false alignment info as well. gl.

i did try both original and jdm sensors with same result. also the part number matched on both. i did inspect all components of jdm engine and everything looked really good compared to my original engine so the crank pulley may not be the issue.

piotrek

May 8, 2009
murfreesboro tn
Kb865supra;1324576 said:
Timing light skips around? Did you short out the TE1 and E1 pins on the check connector to put it in base timing?

yes pins were bridged and the check engine light was blinking. i did notice that there was no difference with pins bridged and not bridged. any ideas about skipping to 5 deg adv at random.

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
Sounds like it's a tooth out to me as well. I usually take the cover off and see where the rotor is in relation to the magnets. Properly installed it should be slightly clockwise of the right magnet (maybe 3-4mm's).

The skipping at random issue is a new one. The car will start pulling timing if a lot of fuel is removed via an safc, or similar. Are you running any fuel management in this vehicle?