camshaft help

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
ok i just put on a brand new cylinder head and all new gaskets everywere possible on my engine..when i was finished putting in the camseals i was tightening down the cam gears to the supposed torque of 59ft/lb which i found online and one of the bolts snapped in half in the camshaft and the other is now in the trash..i tried to use one of those kits to pull it out but to no avail it didnt work..so im guessing that i need to replace that entire camshaft now?(correct me if im wrong)..if so what or where can i find the whole process of replacing the camshaft..also if i do have to replace the entire thing should i got with the 7mgte camshafts or "upgrade" to the N/A camshafts..please help im trying to get this done by tomorrow..thanks for any help i can get..peace

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
sorry bud. You are shit up a creek with no paddle. You MIGHT be able to take it to a machine shop and they MIGHT be able to take it out but I would not count on it. :(

suprana1990

Apr 4, 2005
NYC
you broke the bolt to the cam bearing(whatever you call it) and you threw away the other bolt.

just remove all the bolts as the Tsrm indicate and take the cam out.
look at the cam urself and see if it is straight to your eye.
if you can't tell bring it to a shop and ask them to check for the cam if it is bent.

i would think one bolt breaking won't harm the cam unless you removed the cam bearing not according to the Tsrm then ur cam could bend and render useless.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I think he means the Big bolt that holds the Cam Pully on.

There are a bunch of ways to have it removed but most of them aren't cheap and would probably cost more than another 2nd hand cam.
(EDM springs to mind)

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
yeah i mean the bolt that holds the cam pulley on i have two spares from my old head so i think im just going to put that one on..is that a hard replacement do i have to mess with the lifters a lot and there clearance i havnt done anything before with a cam and im just trying to figure out exactly the best way to tackle it before i get started

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
If you have a "spare" head what are the cams like in it?

If the Cam is ok replace the one with the broken bolt then you'll have a bunch of shims to choose from (24 from the old head and another 12 from the dead cam side) Hopefully you'll get 12 with good clearances.

It's a slow fiddly job but not rocket science and worst case scenario you may need to buy a few shims if you can't get it perfect!

(bit of a tip go for the Loose side of the specs as in use the clearances over time will close up a touch as the vlaves receed)

Intake 0.006>0.010 in

Exhaust 0.008>0.012 in

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
You run the risk of holding a valve off it's seat if you do that!

If it's an exhaust Valve you get a nice blow torch effect that destroys the valve if it's an intake it runs like total arse and backfires and POPS a lot...

5 thou extra lift isn't going to make any difference.

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
^ Like IJ said. Closing the valve lash adjustment is NOT how to get more valve opening. I've seen several heads with burnt exhaust valves due to them being adjusted TOO tight.