cam position sensor

tropical 87t

Dec 18, 2005
Lake City, FL
I'm rebuilding a 7mgte and I'm ready to install the cam pos sensor. I don't remember there being an o-ring at the gear end that inserts into the cylinder head. The Cygnus manual says install a new o-ring to it. Does anyone have any images of the o-ring installed on the cam pos sensor? Thanks.

Supra5MGTE

Nov 11, 2005
Tampa, FL
I'm thinking about replacing the O ring on our CPS b/c of our oil leaks, just so we can rule it out. Wheres the best place to get one? Dealership or just a hardware store?

tropical 87t

Dec 18, 2005
Lake City, FL
MDC...when I install the CPS, and all other timing marks are aligned, I know the CPS drill mark at the tip has to be aligned with the groove behind the gear. I try to insert the CPS aligned like that and it's difficult to get it to stay in that position and have the mounting bracket stay over the mounting screw hole. Any tips? Thanks.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Since the gear is helical cut and not straight, you acutally put it in slightly off center so it rotates into position when pushed forward.

Having the bracket line up right is just a matter of holding the unit right. Practice is about the only solution, unless you know somebody who has installed one, or knows how to install a distributor.