calculus help, please?

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Clip said:
yeah im gonna try for virginia tech's engineering program. gotta get through ap calc this year though, its gonna be killer. im glad that the community is here with the knowledge to help (if you guys dont mind me asking for it) and care enough to devote some time to this.

thanks all!

LOL
no offence but I had a friend that took pretty much all AP stuff in HS from Calc to Trig. He went to VT to go into the Comp. Engineerin, He was failing math so bad he switched over to something with less math(forgot wat it was) so HS/AP classes are nothing compaired to college AP. You can do it though, just kiss your car and your life good bye for the next 5+ years.

suprasport91

GO BRUINS!!!
Sep 27, 2005
Seattle, Wa
nah, he can do it with minimal effort, math is the same across the board, proofs are annoying but once you get them down any problem of the sort will come naturally, leaning based on the problems is where you will encounter trouble

cwapface

Supernerd
Mar 30, 2005
Eugene, OR
www.dylanwiggins.com
well shit i'm late to the party, i had a diagram and everything :(

calculus.jpg

Once you rule out any dividing by zero spots, you can see that by plugging in 0 and 1 for test values, they have a mystery crossing point in there somewhere.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
D34DC311 said:
LOL
no offence but I had a friend that took pretty much all AP stuff in HS from Calc to Trig. He went to VT to go into the Comp. Engineerin, He was failing math so bad he switched over to something with less math(forgot wat it was) so HS/AP classes are nothing compaired to college AP. You can do it though, just kiss your car and your life good bye for the next 5+ years.

calculus is the main class they use to weed out the prospects. at the beginning of the first week, its standing room only. at the end of the first week, take your pick of any seat you want!

ChadMKIII

Yup, Thats The G/F
Jul 14, 2006
Bay Area, Ca
Clip said:
yeah im gonna try for virginia tech's engineering program. gotta get through ap calc this year though, its gonna be killer. im glad that the community is here with the knowledge to help (if you guys dont mind me asking for it) and care enough to devote some time to this.

thanks all!
Haha, same here. I'm assuming you're in senior year of HS right?
Our wonderful math teacher left 1/2 way thru last year cuz of her pregnancy, something was up and the doctor ordered her to bed rest. We have the shittiest teacher now...
Ran into her, she was shocked at how slow we're moving (we're just barely into limts. WTF??) and so me, her, and another friend in AP Calc are starting up a study group with the old teacher! Woohoo.
What book are you using?

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
"calculus: early transcendentals" - james stewart

our precal teacher was great last year, this year the teacher doesnt give a damn, shes just got her goal of making it so far at so-and-so a time.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
expand e^x in a taylor series, then solve

1-2x-x^2/2! - x^3/3! - .... = 0

Every polynomial of degree n has n complex roots, counted with their multiplicities.

lim x->0 = 1 lim x->inf = -inf and derivative is <0 from 0 to inf so only one root.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
thatd be great, but remember that i'm still only in a high-school level calculus so if you could dumb it down from about 12 to 3, we'll get this ball rolling.

ChadMKIII

Yup, Thats The G/F
Jul 14, 2006
Bay Area, Ca
Lol yeah I was reading 3p....'s post and going what the hell is he saying. If you're just starting AP Calc then I'm sure you haven't hit derivitives yet, right? I haven't.
Yeah we have a diff book Clip. I was hoping we'd have the same one incase I ever got stuck lol. :D

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Sorry, not sure what level you are at.

If you know about Tayor series, then

e^x = 1 + x + x^2/2! + x^3/3! + ...

so substitute it in for e^x and then you are left with a polynomial. The higher order terms are small so can be ignored, then you are left with a simple polynomial and you can use all the usual polynomial tricks to solve.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
right now we're going over limits and continuity so we can start on derivatives sometime soon, so we're pretty early into it

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
ChadMKIII said:
Lol yeah I was reading 3p....'s post and going what the hell is he saying. If you're just starting AP Calc then I'm sure you haven't hit derivitives yet, right? I haven't.
Yeah we have a diff book Clip. I was hoping we'd have the same one incase I ever got stuck lol. :D

yeah, i gotta say i was thinkin the same thing.