Broken windows from theft. Grr...

1992supraman

Dec 1, 2007
Corvallis, OR
Im on vacation in Michigan and my step dad called this morning to tell me that someone broke out my two side windows on my drivers side. They didnt steal anything, so Im not sure if my alarm scared them off or if they were just being F***ers. Has anyone dealt with broken side windows before? Im sure the drivers one cant be too hard to change but Im not sure about the little one behind it. Should I try to find a part out car or can a window company get these in?? Thanks.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
both windows are pretty easy to install...the TSRM pretty much holds your hand through the process - just source some replacement windows from somebody parting out their car.

Adam

Maroon88

I collect BHG's
May 3, 2005
Cincinnati, OH
I had the same thing happen several years ago, I had a glass company replace them both. The smaller window in the back was more expensive than the door window. If you can find the glass used you will save a lot of cash.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Be careful that you get the right color glass to match your car. There are green and bronze, and I think even some blue. The tint is hard to see ion most cars, but it's easy to tell if you install the wrong one. A glass shop would be your best bet. They can make sure they get it right. It's a crapshoot if you get them out of a part out thread. You also have to be specific whether you have targa or not. The door glass is different between the two.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
I haven't seen green, and i don't think there is a PN for it in the EPC..copper and blue are your only choices.

(from what I understand, blue glass is in cars with blue or grey interiors, while the burgandy and tan interiors get the copper)

supramk3man

Supramania Contributor
Jun 26, 2005
kentucky
I will try to help you out if you will tell me the year, color, and what color the interior is. Plus if it is targa or hard top. I have few supras that i can get the glass from and be able to match. i have shipped the glass before with no problem. please pm if you want to.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Quick question before you go through this drill...does your insurance have glass replacement coverage? It's usually under the comprehensive section of the policy.

Also, if your Dad may have coverage under the homeowners or renters policy that may cover this.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I was the Warehouse leadman for LOF/Pilkington Glass for 11 years. Shipping glass is not ever guaranteed! If it were, I'd offer to ship you the glass for peanuts. I've got plenty of it around my house from past part outs, but it's not marked targa/non. I refrained from the offer because of distance and uncertainty on the targa thing.

Anyway, $25 plus shipping for both pieces, if I have them.

1992supraman

Dec 1, 2007
Corvallis, OR
well its a red 1992 targa with shadow grey leather interior. But they do have homeowners insurance but the car was parked on the street... Im going to claim that it was in the driveway when it happened though. And seeing as I'm 18 and pay for all of my insurance I can only afford liablilty...

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
ForcedTorque;1061459 said:
but it's not marked targa/non. I refrained from the offer because of distance and uncertainty on the targa thing.

in my experience, there is no difference between the targa and non-targa glass (side windows or rear quarter windows) The only difference is in the color.