bov

mkiii88supra

Jan 15, 2006
PA
i have a HKS SSQV and a horsepowerfreaks intercooler kit so the blow off valve is mounted way up front. is there any way i can still recirculate it being that the hose from the blow off valve would be about 3ft to get to the accordian hose to recirc.?

Red Dragon

Keep That on the Down Low
Jan 5, 2006
Austin, TX
mkiii88supra said:
is it recommended to do so?

it will be better than nothing, you other option is to vent, which might cause your car to stall or backfire. nothing "bad" would happen.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
basically it does make the same amount of noise, mkiii88supra.

I did it just because I wanted fireballs between shifts :icon_razz

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
No recirc is never as loud as atmosphere. You add extra distance for the air to travel, that mutes the sound. Plus you can't get the different sound altering effects like the SSQV, RFL and I think A'PEXi have.

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
Depends on your AFM. If you're running the stock KV style AFM then yes. If you're running a MAP, or MAFT tapped closer to the manifold then the BOV is then no.

Boss302

May 2, 2006
Mobile, Al
Bishop92t said:
Depends on your AFM. If you're running the stock KV style AFM then yes. If you're running a MAP, or MAFT tapped closer to the manifold then the BOV is then no.

so just put a mass air flow sensor after and close to the manifold?

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
If you want to avoid the temporary rich condition then yes. Any MAP won't have that problem, and all you have to do is mount the MAFT post-BOV and you won't have the condition. The reason is that the air being vented by the BOV has not been metered yet so the ECU won't even see it.

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
Boss302 said:
so just put a mass air flow sensor after and close to the manifold?

the reason people don't put the maf after the turbo is because pressure the turbo creates makes a lot of turbulence. with all this turbulence, the maf doesn't get near as good of a read from the air flow. when you vent to the atmosphere, the venting air was already metered by the afm, and when you vent the air, you lose that air that your engine was expecting to be in the combustion chamber, so you get a rich mixture which causes a rich mixture.... thats why i just went with the map ecu....

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I think you are using some incorrect terminology.

This would be true if you were using an AFM. (Stock sensor)
This is not true if you use an MAF or MAP.

You need some extra electronics to run either a MAF or a MAP.

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
I don't see what all the hoop-law is all about, I've ran vented for years and never had any problems...
I do shoot flames between shifts, however...

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
we run AFM. Air Flow Meter
Gm likes MAF sensors. Mass Air Flow sensors
Honda likes MAP sensors. Manifold Absolute Pressor sensors.
Boss, I am fully aware that richness makes flames, my point is who the hell cars?