BOV problem

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
I recently put a turbo xs rfl bov on my supra and I dont think its acting right.I cant hear it when I rev it and it sounds like its got compressor surge at low boost levels only(0-3). I only took it for a quick drive and it looked like it was only hitting 6 psi were it was hitting 11 before. Im think it has a boost leak at the flange as the oring looked very small and didnt fit snugly at all. that is causing my surge as it beleives its at a lower pressure then it really is.Am I over thinking this? Oh, and it doesnt have any washers in it yet. should I add some and see what happens?

koulee

Oct 11, 2005
Okay, if you have a boost leak, you will most likely not have compressor surge.

They are exclusive of each other because in a boost leak you are losing boost and during a compressor surge, that boost can't go anywhere but back towards the turbo.

If you are only hitting 6 psi, when you were hitting 11 before, you have a boost leak somewhere.

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
I could be mistaken about the compressor surge then. I do no tknow a lot about turbos yet but im learnig.I tought it was because it sounds kinda like the stock BOV still.

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
I added a cuople washers and it blows of at idle now but it still sounds like a fluttering sound so Ill add some more and se what happens. I got to 9 puonds now so im almost there I think.

robbo185

Apr 6, 2005
Chicago
its not meant to blow off at idle...it needs to be in gear and driven....btw most bovs wont open fully at 0-3 psi...

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
hmm...I just put in a TurboXS RFl as well, and it will blow-off at idle, but only if you rev to around 4-5k, and it's a really long blow-off, almost sounds like brakes squealing...lol.

I had a problem with mine about two days ago, i would boost, and it would start bucking, and jerking...connected the stock BPV...problem solved. Any ideas?

koulee

Oct 11, 2005
johnathan1 said:
hmm...I just put in a TurboXS RFl as well, and it will blow-off at idle, but only if you rev to around 4-5k, and it's a really long blow-off, almost sounds like brakes squealing...lol.

I had a problem with mine about two days ago, i would boost, and it would start bucking, and jerking...connected the stock BPV...problem solved. Any ideas?

Thats what will happen because when you let off, the ecu is thinking that that air is getting dumped back into the intake track:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1079

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
The RFL's are supposedly bad about leaking boost, that mayb be what is happening to you, also they are supposed to be very loud, they normally sound similar to a bucket of water poured off a 3rd story balcony onto asphalt amplified a bit. I thought of getting one but after some friends problems I got an HKS SSQV because they don't leak boost and they are more user friendly and I just like the sound. GOOD LUCK DUDE