Bosch 110 BPV Problem

edi

May 17, 2006
www.pxracing.com
i just installed a new Bosch 110 By-Pass Valve and now my car tends to stall out like its venting out betwen shifts or after lift off of the gas pedal. also, it runs rich every now and then and has a rough idle. the symptoms sounds like i have a bad MAF but no engine check light comes on and i'm code free. is this a common problem with Bosch BPV's? is there a remedy for this?

thanks in advance.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Sounds like you installed it backwards, or you have a hole in your hose, loose clamp? Something that is leaking air after the AFM, that is for sure.

If you run this open to atmosphere, it will suck air through the valve under all conditions but when your boosting. (It is designed to do this.)

Check the following.
1) Is your vac line port straight up, or sideways? If you installed the valve sideways, it's wrong.
2) Did you route back to the intake pipe between the turbo and AFM? If not, that is your problem. The engine is sucking unmetered air, and that makes it run lean/rough.

Here is how they should be installed. (I have two, and no I do not have a AFM, this setup is now MaftPro. But mine vent to the intake pipe between the air filter and the turbo, so under boost when they "blow off" they help to keep the turbo spooled up, and off boost, they provide a short cut from the filter to the throttle body.)
p813286_1.jpg

Mibba

Jun 28, 2007
Sydney, Au
have you tried reverting back to the stock setup just to rule the bosch valve out?

If thats the only thing you have changed and its doing it now it has to be something related to it.

When i put mine on one was venting to atmo though a torn hose and that was causing what you are describing. Replaced hose. Problem fixed.

Myset up.
bay4.jpg

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
bad accordian hose, or it could be the idle up line on the bottom, ect...

yeah, try the stock valve if you can just to rule out the BPV...

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Mibba, nice setup ;)

Is that the ebay IC kit?

Do you have the TB vac line integrated into the lines going to the catch can? It's hard to tell in the picture... If not, it needs to be or you will start blowing out your front and rear main seals. Also, I would recirculate the catch can back to the accordian hose, no air filter on it.

edi

May 17, 2006
www.pxracing.com
Poodles said:
bad accordian hose, or it could be the idle up line on the bottom, ect...

yeah, try the stock valve if you can just to rule out the BPV...

i checked the idle up line and thats good. and i replaced my acordian with a hard pipe, no cracks...

Mibba

Jun 28, 2007
Sydney, Au
starscream5000 said:
Mibba, nice setup ;)

Is that the ebay IC kit?

Do you have the TB vac line integrated into the lines going to the catch can? It's hard to tell in the picture... If not, it needs to be or you will start blowing out your front and rear main seals. Also, I would recirculate the catch can back to the accordian hose, no air filter on it.

Yeh its the Ebay IC kit with two extra outlets welded on for the bov's.

I still have to fix my crank-case vent setup, but i need to make up a new intake pipe at work. But i want to wait a little longer till i get my new turbo so i dont have to make one twice.

(sorry for Hijack)

edi

May 17, 2006
www.pxracing.com
is there another/better vaccume source for the by-pass valve other than the normal one? because heres my theory... at idle or cruise it is said that the valve is slighty open; and only fully closes tight under hard acceleration. well, maybe i'm not getting enough vaccume to the bosch BPV for this to happen. could that be why i'm running rich at idle? so, is it possible i could run the normal vaccume line for the bpv and tee it to another vaccume source for added vaccume durring idle and cruise conditions, and then better pressure on the bpv under bossting conditions? or, is vaccume the same regardless? am i making sence?...

edi

May 17, 2006
www.pxracing.com
i'm basicaly wondering if i could add another vaccume/pressure source to the valve for better operation? i dont think my bosch bpv is cracking open at idle or cruise conditions.

edi

May 17, 2006
www.pxracing.com
i dont know... im not sure if it is open open or not durring idle. i do know it does blow off boost, i can hear it and i have no compressor surge at all. i'm just trying to figure out why i'm idleing and cruising so rich.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Take the end of the hose off that goes to the accordian hose, twist the bypass valve upside down, or more towards you where you can look into it, and then you'll be able to see if it's open during idle. You should also be able to hear it sucking in air some too.

edi

May 17, 2006
www.pxracing.com
starscream5000 said:
Take the end of the hose off that goes to the accordian hose, twist the bypass valve upside down, or more towards you where you can look into it, and then you'll be able to see if it's open during idle. You should also be able to hear it sucking in air some too.

okay... i'll give that a shot. but what if it isnt open at idle? is this why im running rich? would that mean i need more vaccume to the valve to pull it open durrig idle and cruising?

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
3p141592654 said:
Open or closed, in the stock setup (not vented) it won't make any difference to your idle.

^ What he said.

I don't think the problem is in the bypass valve, but, if for some strange, unforeseen reason, the bypass valve doesn't open during idle, confirm that the vacuum lines going to it are getting vacuum, no leaks. Then if it still isn't working, you need to get another one.

edi

May 17, 2006
www.pxracing.com
damn... i tried that test and it looks like it isnt working properly (open at idle). this sucks! i dont want to fork out another $50-$75. i sould have just bought a Blitz or HKS...