Boost Issues Noob

veedubin

Official SM Decals
well this is now my 3rd day driving my new supra, and i love it!!! already put $360 into it within 24hrs of signing the title. i see a good future :icon_conf
Anyways, I am not sure as to how the boost gauge should react during driving. This is my first turbo vehicle, so i'm new. I know I have a boost leak at the 3000 pipe to TB. I have since black taped it and band aided it till toyota gets my new one in. Any how, The boost gauge doesn't budge fro -4 until i am at close to WOT above 3200rpm. WTF?? i thought i should be getting a response from sooner or even a more pairtially closed throttle. any ways, If some one could chime in that would be awsome. thanks guys and BTW, I LOVE THIS CAR!!!!:love: :love:

89_turborunner

Oct 1, 2006
Oregon
I have limited experience w/ stock supras. Most factory boost gauges aren't known for their accuracy though. I would recommend getting an atermarket boost gauge for the car. But you try to find other leaks as well, look for rotting or hardened dry hoses in the induction system.

whenmunkysfly

scratch that...going 2jz
Jun 26, 2006
United States
veedubin said:
well this is now my 3rd day driving my new supra, and i love it!!! already put $360 into it within 24hrs of signing the title. i see a good future :icon_conf
Anyways, I am not sure as to how the boost gauge should react during driving. This is my first turbo vehicle, so i'm new. I know I have a boost leak at the 3000 pipe to TB. I have since black taped it and band aided it till toyota gets my new one in. Any how, The boost gauge doesn't budge fro -4 until i am at close to WOT above 3200rpm. WTF?? i thought i should be getting a response from sooner or even a more pairtially closed throttle. any ways, If some one could chime in that would be awsome. thanks guys and BTW, I LOVE THIS CAR!!!!:love: :love:

lol that's nothing I dumped $3500 before I ever heard it run or drive lol. anyway can't realy help yea on the question just check everywhere for leaks. More Vw people should try out supra I think the comunitie would grow FAST. lol btw I LOVE MINE TOO.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
89_turborunner said:
I have limited experience w/ stock supras. Most factory boost gauges aren't known for their accuracy though. I would recommend getting an atermarket boost gauge for the car. But you try to find other leaks as well, look for rotting or hardened dry hoses in the induction system.

:werd: It's a good thing to start replacing all old hoses on the car as they are probably rotted and will burst (coolant) and leak out everywhere. Do you know if the Head Gasket has been replaced or if it has already had a BHG (Blown Head Gasket)? When I first bought my supra I found recipts from mechanics showing that it had already has at least two BHG repairs done to it.

oscolivar1

Supraism
Feb 8, 2006
Virginia beach
veedubin said:

so what did u order from toyota...new couplers or TB/300 pipe?
i would check all the IC pipes espescially the one connected to the turbo since its the one gets abused by the heat; bend them and see if they crack, it's time for new hard pipes or a stock replacement.

Edit: ^^ he beat me to the HG statment, but get ARP hardware for the HG
I hope you know how to work on engine because these cars are kinda of a money pit.
Do all the work yourself and not a shop, unless its block/head work etc

Mrbaboon

Jul 13, 2006
Victoria, BC
Well if you are leaking boost like you say you are, 3200 at WOT sounds about right.. your turbo wont spool unless you have a load on the motor, and it requires more juice to get going since a chunk of that boost is being puked out of the hole before your intake.

When its working properly though just normal acceleration (not driving like grandma here though) through the 3-4000 rpm range should get you into boost on a stock car.

Edit: And the stock boost gage is shite. Either you're at -4 or full boost, it doesn't know how to do anything in between, just go buy a good one.

NeatOman

Never know enough!
Oct 5, 2006
Addison, IL
Well when you first turn the key without starting the car the gauge should read out 0 then as you start it, it should shoot down to -4.