Blown fuse?

kelner

May 17, 2006
GA
I just replaced my clutch and I finally got the tranny back in the other night. I went to crank it and it fired up fine then died off. Well it was late so I decided to come back tomorrow. Turns out my intake had popped off when I propped the block up with a piece of wood to make it lean back so I could line the input shaft up correctly. So I hooked up the intake and went to crank my car. Well turns out I left the keys in the ignition and my radio on (w/ no volume) however none of the interior lights worked, the radio did not turn on, but the headlights worked fine. So I attempted to crank it and it wouldn't even make a click. The battery light on the dash lights up but that's the only interior light I get. My floor light, key light or none of that works. So I decided to jump start it and here is where I made matters worse. I accidentally hooked the positive from the jump car to the neg on my supra and neg to pos. Well I heard a small pop and smoke coming from my fuse box. One fuse popped (a 15 HAZ something) and I replaced it with the 15 FOG fuse. However my car would not crank when I properly placed the jumper cables. The battery light still turns on, the headlights still turn on, however the taillights do not. I checked all the floorboard fuses and they look fine. I looked at the large fuses in the engine box and they appeared fine. The only two I can't be for certain about are the HEAD fuse and the fusible link. What could have been shorted or burned by my idiocy? Is my starter solenoid shot? Is my ecu fried? Help please!

Thanks,
Chris

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
Englewood, Ohio, United States
kelner said:
I just replaced my clutch and I finally got the tranny back in the other night. I went to crank it and it fired up fine then died off. Well it was late so I decided to come back tomorrow. Turns out my intake had popped off when I propped the block up with a piece of wood to make it lean back so I could line the input shaft up correctly. So I hooked up the intake and went to crank my car. Well turns out I left the keys in the ignition and my radio on (w/ no volume) however none of the interior lights worked, the radio did not turn on, but the headlights worked fine. So I attempted to crank it and it wouldn't even make a click. The battery light on the dash lights up but that's the only interior light I get. My floor light, key light or none of that works. So I decided to jump start it and here is where I made matters worse. I accidentally hooked the positive from the jump car to the neg on my supra and neg to pos. Well I heard a small pop and smoke coming from my fuse box. One fuse popped (a 15 HAZ something) and I replaced it with the 15 FOG fuse. However my car would not crank when I properly placed the jumper cables. The battery light still turns on, the headlights still turn on, however the taillights do not. I checked all the floorboard fuses and they look fine. I looked at the large fuses in the engine box and they appeared fine. The only two I can't be for certain about are the HEAD fuse and the fusible link. What could have been shorted or burned by my idiocy? Is my starter solenoid shot? Is my ecu fried? Help please!

Thanks,
Chris
Did you check the fusable link in the fuse box under the hood? its a small piece of wire that is actually a fuse....its to your alternator and with what your decribing that is prob. it. also the HEAD is not a fuse its a relay.

kelner

May 17, 2006
GA
x87SUPRA87x said:
Did you check the fusable link in the fuse box under the hood? its a small piece of wire that is actually a fuse....its to your alternator and with what your decribing that is prob. it. also the HEAD is not a fuse its a relay.

I did not, It was dark out and I am not too sure about how to look at that. Does the wire burn up or does it pop off the connection point or what? Thanks for the info on the HEAD relay. Appreciate it!

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
kelner said:
I did not, It was dark out and I am not too sure about how to look at that. Does the wire burn up or does it pop off the connection point or what? Thanks for the info on the HEAD relay. Appreciate it!
no prob:icon_bigg it will burn up, ive had the problem before....when mine burned up I just replaced it with one of the big square fuses. (Ill explain how to do it once you make sure thats it). the fusable link is on the left side of the fusebox...on the tob cover it says ALT where it should be.

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
supramacist said:
Unless you fragged the entire wiring system. Or an alternator.
the fuse is going to blow wayy before the alt. would go....plus if the wires got that hot to go the wirecasing would burn causing black smoke and a bad smell and he would have deff. noticed that.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
x87SUPRA87x said:
no prob:icon_bigg it will burn up, ive had the problem before....when mine burned up I just replaced it with one of the big square fuses. (Ill explain how to do it once you make sure thats it). the fusable link is on the left side of the fusebox...on the tob cover it says ALT where it should be.

I had that wire go out on me too. I had no clue why my car wouldnt start. I saw the wire and it looked fine, I pulled it out and put a normal fuse in. No problems with it since.

When I went to the auto part store(s) noone had a clue what the 'wire' was. they said I shouldnt have a wire in my fuse box lol.

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
BlindRonin said:
I was looking in at my fuse box the other day and saw that wire, and thought WTF that looks Jerry Rigged. but your saying its oem? Wierd
yes, its OEM....on the 89+ they changed it to a normal fuse.....when I had to change mine they kept telling me it wasnt suppose to be there...i got really frustrated with them and told them I know whats suppose to be on my car....I changed mine to a normall fuse. Its not hard if anyone wants to know how ill go take a pic or two and explain it. (im bored right now)lol

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
BlindRonin said:
ok kewl i was going to but feel free ill have an original pic later. Id like to know how to if you wouldnt mind.
Ok, its where the black fuse is, that section of the fuse box pulls up and is held in by little extensions or lips.

once you get that section of the fuse box up there are two screws right beneath the fusable link that hold it in. you take those out to slide the fusable link out..then you get a normal fuse of that is the right amount of amps slide it in place of the link then just tighten the screws back in, and slide the box back into place.

kelner

May 17, 2006
GA
x87SUPRA87x said:
Ok, its where the black fuse is, that section of the fuse box pulls up and is held in by little extensions or lips.

once you get that section of the fuse box up there are two screws right beneath the fusable link that hold it in. you take those out to slide the fusable link out..then you get a normal fuse of that is the right amount of amps slide it in place of the link then just tighten the screws back in, and slide the box back into place.

Appreciate all the help! What is the correct Amperage for the fuse? I got some fusable wire from my local napa, but I'd much rather just use a fuse.

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
kelner said:
Appreciate all the help! What is the correct Amperage for the fuse? I got some fusable wire from my local napa, but I'd much rather just use a fuse.
I believe I used a 80A but I believe you can use 100A not 100% sure, you'll prob. want to check the TSRM or the cover of the fuse box

BlindRonin

Where are my pants!
Feb 27, 2006
St. Louis Missouri
Have you had any problems or blow outs yet? just covering all my bases. Sorry about clairity but as you can see mine is Screwed

Attachments

• Wirepic.jpg
    Wirepic.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
Last edited: