Bhg???

JohnRardin

JDM 7MGTE
Apr 4, 2006
Radford, VA
Today I finally got my 89 supra started up after at least 7 months of being parked. When I parked it, it was running better than ever Turns out, it was the alternator that was the problem, so I finally changed it today and it started right up; even with odd mixture of gas from last year, gas from 2 months ago, octane booster, and water remover (about 1/4 tank). As you would expect it runs roughly and has some misfiring issues after sitting so long and with such an odd mixture in the gas tank.

The scary thing is... when I checked the oil, it was milky and gross which makes me automatically think: blown head gasket... Right?

Is there any hope that I don't have a BHG or could there possibly be a temporary solution of any kind? For now I just need it for transportation until I can get a metal head gasket job done. After the MHG I'll finally think I'll be satisfied with everything and work on reliability. For now I want to delay the gasket change as long as possible. Is there any hope that this may be fixed with an oil change? Thanks for any advice!

JohnRardin

JDM 7MGTE
Apr 4, 2006
Radford, VA
Awesome. That makes me feel better. I looked in my Fluidyne to check the coolant and luckily everything still looks nice and yellowish from all the antifreeze i put in when i parked. Honestly I expected the coolant to be reddish from rust as it was years ago but thank god I didn't see any oil on top or any whitish stuff in there . Good sign right?

Next time I get a chance, I'll use one of those radiator pump things that checks for a leak. Since you can't ever completely get all of the old oil out during an oil change, will I need to flush the oil somehow or change it twice to get all the funky oil out?

The JDM engine has probably only seen 10k miles since I swapped it a couple years ago and supposedly it should've only had 40-60k miles on it when it went in.

I'm still definitely scared of a BHG though. Right before it was parked, I stupidly had the boost controller as far as 15psi without any known problems at the time. If I didn't manage to blow the gasket so far, I'll probably keep the boost at stock levels until I can get a full on MHG.

Think I should run some Seafoam through the gas lines? I'm sure after all this time sitting, it could use a full cleaning.

Oh also I didn't mention that the alternator I put on was for a NA supra but I managed to make it work, or so I think. Is there any problem with using this alternator? I can't afford a new alternator and luckily a fellow supra owner bought my old HKS downpipe and threw in an alternator with it; promising it would work.

The NA alternator is slightly smaller than the turbo one and the main difference I could see was the smaller electrical stud and some sort of grounded attachment (I swapped that part over to be safe). Surprisingly, it worked with no problems so far. Will there eventually be any kind of downfall to doing this? Thanks for all your help guys!

syty1

Jan 26, 2009
los gatos, ca
At 15 psi it would be a miracle if it didn't blow the HG. It seems the concensus on here is they go @ 12.
Get the chemical test kit for antifreeze in the oil. Loosing coolant? Steam out of exhaust on start-up?
They can be subtle - mine leaked just a little & caused a gradual coolant loss that was impossible to find.
Another easy check is to torque-check the head-bolts...if any are less than 57 lb-ft = BHG
HTH