Best trim size for Upgraded CT26 on 7M w/o changing fuel system

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
Dan_Gyoba;960370 said:
HKS SSQV: If you do this, get the recirculation fitting, and recirculate it. Last thing you need is for it to go hard rich while being smogged. Without recirculation, that'll be an instant HC fail. With recirc, you've got a chance, since the ECU can deal with that.

Smog tech will fail your car if they see that it has an aftermarket BOV. So the fact that it increases HC's really isn't relevant.

fartman;961288 said:
Wouldn't changing the fuel system and AFM make you fail CA smog though?

Not necessarily. You need something to control your fuel system (like an S-AFC) and use it to lean out the mixture when you go in for testing. :)

Also, my I have a 57trim CT-26 on my car, which, other than 3" catless exhaust, is completely stock. It made 296whp @ 10psi.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Upgrading the fuel system will not change when the ecu decides it's time to cut fuel. You need to either fool the ecu into thinking there is less air coming in then there is, or get rid of the ecu completely.

Fuel cut will tell you when you've got too large of a turbo on the car. A stock fuel setup with a .57 trim CT running off of the wastegate, on a good running supra, should not fuel cut at all. I don't recommend a large upgraded CT then that for reliability issues, especially with your family situation.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
@jonathan1: Just for an aftermarket BOV? I wouldn't have thought that would have made the difference since it's not emissions equipment, directly.

@starscream5000: The whole point of upgrading the fuel system is to raise FCO, either with something like an FCD and AFC, or the Lexus/550 mod.

However, yeah, the 57 trim with no boost control should work with the factory fuel system, but a simple manual boost controller is signifigantly less than the cost of an upgraded turbo, and if it's going to be a smog problem, can be easily removed, leaving the intake stock.

fartman

User
Jul 28, 2007
Livermore, CA
johnathan1;961304 said:
Smog tech will fail your car if they see that it has an aftermarket BOV. So the fact that it increases HC's really isn't relevant.

Not necessarily. You need something to control your fuel system (like an S-AFC) and use it to lean out the mixture when you go in for testing. :)

Also, my I have a 57trim CT-26 on my car, which, other than 3" catless exhaust, is completely stock. It made 296whp @ 10psi.

An aftermarket BOV would fail? I wouldn't have thought that. How would a BOV cause you to fail smog? I don't see it messing around with emissions equipment.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Aftermarket BOV messes with your stock ECU's capability to measure air, and allows PCV gas to vent to atmosphere. Therefore, fail.

CA is ridiculous on this stuff. Years back a guy who failed emissions because he switched his car to electric. They howled about the fact that he removed the emissions gear that was for the original gasoline engine. It's all about the rules, and the actual emissions of the vehicle in question don't matter.

fartman

User
Jul 28, 2007
Livermore, CA
GrimJack;961488 said:
Aftermarket BOV messes with your stock ECU's capability to measure air, and allows PCV gas to vent to atmosphere. Therefore, fail.

CA is ridiculous on this stuff. Years back a guy who failed emissions because he switched his car to electric. They howled about the fact that he removed the emissions gear that was for the original gasoline engine. It's all about the rules, and the actual emissions of the vehicle in question don't matter.

Wow, that sucks! Changing the BOV and intake pipe out for the stock intake pipe would probably be what needs to be done for smog then, huh?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
fartman;960438 said:
I think that might be the best case scenario for what I want to do. As long as it'll pass CA smog, I'll be fine. Also, will a Magnaflow High Flow CAT help pass smog, or make you fail?

The aftermarket cats don't work to well from what I have seen. Some cars are richer by design than others, and a universal TWC is made for the masses. I have seen a few failures over the years with them.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
I can understand if the aftermarket BOV does mess with the ECU by not being recirculated, but say a recirculated SSQV shouldn't do that, that's the point of buying the recirculation fitting. Or a car that comes with a MAP sensor, such as the Dodge/Mitsu 2.2 turbos, the BOV wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference to the emissions.

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
I had an HKS SSQV venting to atmosphere when I smogged my supra with stock exhaust in CT.

HC was 66ppm. Limit in CT is 167ppm.

The tech never opened the hood, and I passed with .17% CO and 161ppm NOx.

fartman

User
Jul 28, 2007
Livermore, CA
Dan_Gyoba;962298 said:
I can understand if the aftermarket BOV does mess with the ECU by not being recirculated, but say a recirculated SSQV shouldn't do that, that's the point of buying the recirculation fitting. Or a car that comes with a MAP sensor, such as the Dodge/Mitsu 2.2 turbos, the BOV wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference to the emissions.

So if I recirculated it, which I plan on doing, then shouldn't it pass?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Frank Rizzo;962325 said:
I had an HKS SSQV venting to atmosphere when I smogged my supra with stock exhaust in CT.

HC was 66ppm. Limit in CT is 167ppm.

The tech never opened the hood, and I passed with .17% CO and 161ppm NOx.
You did this in CT. This will not work in CA.

Dan_Gyoba;962298 said:
Not at the tailpipe, no. However, your PCV system vents into your intake, so a BOV can allow those gasses to vent into the atmosphere - and in CA, that's enough to make politicians go apeshit.

The laws there don't say you cannot put extra emissions into the air - they say you cannot put anything on your car. If you add equipment to make your emissions BETTER, and you don't have an exemption sticker for the new gear, you'll fail.

fartman;962398 said:
So if I recirculated it, which I plan on doing, then shouldn't it pass?
Not a chance. If the smog tech notices any piece of aftermarket equipment, and you do not have an exemption sticker for it, he'll fail you.

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
GrimJack;962432 said:
Not a chance. If the smog tech notices any piece of aftermarket equipment, and you do not have an exemption sticker for it, he'll fail you.

EXACTLY. It would probably pass the sniffer test...but ANY piece of aftermarket equipment in the engine bay will cause you to fail. Just CA laws...yes they are pretty dumb. :nono:

fartman

User
Jul 28, 2007
Livermore, CA
So I would have to do the swap I mentioned earlier huh? If you did not read before, here it is again. Swap out the intake pipe with the BOV on it with stock, then put it back on after passing.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
If you are going to play that game, be sure to keep all the old equipment. If you run a CT26 flanged turbo, it wouldn't hurt to keep the stock downpipe either. The cat is expensive.

7MsuprO

Apr 29, 2006
Huntington Beach CA/Ohio
Yea an aftermarket BOV is sure to fail you when the tech does the VISUAL check. Its not just strictly about emissions. Anything aftermarket needs to have a carb sticker on it to be ok, like Grim stated.

fartman

User
Jul 28, 2007
Livermore, CA
Thanks for your help everyone. I now have a better idea of what to do. The only bad thing is that I have to wait to do this rebuild. Got other bills to take care before I can work on my cars. My wife was mad enough that I spent money on my Supra after spending so much on my 86. Can't satisfy everybody.