Best trim size for Upgraded CT26 on 7M w/o changing fuel system

fartman

User
Jul 28, 2007
Livermore, CA
Sorry for not being on forums in long time. Wife had baby and that is where all the $ went to. Now to get back to my other baby. I've been doing some searching, but could not find an answer to this question: in terms of trim sizes for upgraded CT26, what would be the best size to get w/o having to change the fuel system (fuel pump, fuel injectors, Lexus AFM)? I was going for 57 trim before, but vendor flaked out. Then Supra started acting up a few months after my daughter was born. Thanks in advance.

TurboFreak

NOBAMA
Jan 22, 2006
East Coast
To elaborate on my post.

Have you done everything else leading up to a new turbo? FULL exhaust, intake, Boost controller, wideband 02 sensor, IC piping, etc etc etc.

IMO you just can't run a larger turbo (or larger internals or w/e) without upping the fuel system as well. It'll just run way too lean ESPECIALLY without anything to tune it with...

fartman

User
Jul 28, 2007
Livermore, CA
Working my way there. Because of $ issues and CA smog, I am having to limit what I will be getting. When I was going with 57 trim, I knew that I had to get Lexus AFM, 550s, Walbro fuel pump, new IC and IC pipes, boost controller, wideband o2 sensor, AFPR, etc. b/c 57 trim requires those supporting mods. But since $ is an issue, I wanted others' opinions on trim sizes. I would like more power, but without having to put in many supporting mods. So far, motor is stock, but needs a rebuild, due to engine problems and no idea of how many miles are actually on that engine. Things in plan so far are Tanabe Super Medallion Hyper exhaust, HKS SSQV BOV, Greddy Turbo Timer; just regular bolt-ons after rebuild. The bad thing is that smog is an issue, so I gotta stick with CT26.

TurboFreak

NOBAMA
Jan 22, 2006
East Coast
So your car is stock right now and in need of a rebuild? Why are you messing with getting a upgraded turbo then?

Do BIC DDP, 3" exhaust, Intake, Manual Boost Controller, then go from there. That'll put you at or close to 300 WHP. Then if I were you I would begin to start collecting more parts. AKA Lexus AFM, 550's, upgraded turbo, IC hardpipes, etc.

fartman

User
Jul 28, 2007
Livermore, CA
It's planning that I gotta do. CA ain't so friendly with aftermarket turbos. I have an assumption that I will have to stick with stock turbo with stock trim. I saw on here that there were some people who have gone higher trim w/o changing their fuel system. Assuming regular bolt-ons with stock trim, 215 whp?

Last edited:

themadhatter

Jul 5, 2006
Vegas
a 57 trim will be fine on the stock fuel system if you let the stock wastegate do its job and keep it at about 7-8psi. since smog is such an issue just upgrage the turbo, install a k&n intake (50 state legal),hardpipes,and get a catback and high flow cat every thing else i can think of wount pass smog, that sucks because the stock downpipe is the worst part on the entire car

TurboFreak

NOBAMA
Jan 22, 2006
East Coast
fartman;959569 said:
Assuming regular bolt-ons with stock trim, 215 whp?

A good running supra should be just below 300 RWHP with BIC Divorced Downpipe, highflow cat, 3" exhaust, intake and manual boost controller turned up wherever just below fuel cut is for you.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
*sigh*

Too much disinformation.

You could put the largest turbo you wanted on there and it wouldn't hurt a damn thing since you have no tuning device or other way to get around fuel cut!

If the turbo is working fine, leave it, if it's in need of a rebuild (like so many are) it's usually worth getting the upgrade since 9/10 stock CT's i've seen have chipped fins on the compressor.

The 57 trim seems to be the best bang for the buck in reliability and power. Then you do the mods to raise fuel cut safely and then you're set to up the boost.

Hope that helps!

doom26464

Research...research
Mar 31, 2005
Saskatoon SK, Canada
www.cardomain.com
Im running a 60-1 trim ct-26 right now on the stock fuel system. Im only getting 8psi though but I will probaly use a mbc to put it at 10psi(right under fuel cut) Car has already seen 1,000km and everything is fine and fun. most of the upgraded ct-26 don't come alive till after 12 psi anyways.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Tanabe hyper Medallion exhaust: Nice. I have it, I like it.

Some comments:

HKS SSQV: If you do this, get the recirculation fitting, and recirculate it. Last thing you need is for it to go hard rich while being smogged. Without recirculation, that'll be an instant HC fail. With recirc, you've got a chance, since the ECU can deal with that.

If you're not going to upgrade the fuel system, stock trim on the turbo is probably fine. The stock turbo is plenty capable of exceeding FCO on the stock fuel system, which means that it's up to producing as much power as it's going to without upgrading hte fuel system.

In short, I don't think that an upgraded turbo is your best use of upgrade funds. Boost control, and just building your motor to be a solid plant is a much better use of funds. Build a solid motor, with boost control, an upgraded exhaust, intercooler and IC piping, and you'll be better off than if you gave up one of those things for an upgraded turbo.

fartman

User
Jul 28, 2007
Livermore, CA
Dan_Gyoba;960370 said:
Tanabe hyper Medallion exhaust: Nice. I have it, I like it.

Some comments:

HKS SSQV: If you do this, get the recirculation fitting, and recirculate it. Last thing you need is for it to go hard rich while being smogged. Without recirculation, that'll be an instant HC fail. With recirc, you've got a chance, since the ECU can deal with that.

If you're not going to upgrade the fuel system, stock trim on the turbo is probably fine. The stock turbo is plenty capable of exceeding FCO on the stock fuel system, which means that it's up to producing as much power as it's going to without upgrading hte fuel system.

In short, I don't think that an upgraded turbo is your best use of upgrade funds. Boost control, and just building your motor to be a solid plant is a much better use of funds. Build a solid motor, with boost control, an upgraded exhaust, intercooler and IC piping, and you'll be better off than if you gave up one of those things for an upgraded turbo.

I think that might be the best case scenario for what I want to do. As long as it'll pass CA smog, I'll be fine. Also, will a Magnaflow High Flow CAT help pass smog, or make you fail?

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
These cars are quick to fuel cut in my experience. Spending all the money on hardpipes, intercooler, exhaust and not upgrading the fuel system is kind of a waste because the stock turbo is capable of a lot more than the fuel system can handle. Upgrading your turbo first is an even bigger waste of money.

When you set the car under fuel cut with all these mods you'll notice that the power flattens out fast. The boost builds up to the measly 8-10psi so quickly that the car runs out of balls at mid rpm.

fartman

User
Jul 28, 2007
Livermore, CA
TurboWarrior;961259 said:
These cars are quick to fuel cut in my experience. Spending all the money on hardpipes, intercooler, exhaust and not upgrading the fuel system is kind of a waste because the stock turbo is capable of a lot more than the fuel system can handle. Upgrading your turbo first is an even bigger waste of money.

When you set the car under fuel cut with all these mods you'll notice that the power flattens out fast. The boost builds up to the measly 8-10psi so quickly that the car runs out of balls at mid rpm.

Wouldn't changing the fuel system and AFM make you fail CA smog though?