Best Radiator for A/T?

JohnRardin

JDM 7MGTE
Apr 4, 2006
Radford, VA
I need to buy a radiator tonight and I'm trying to find an all aluminum racing radiator that works with an automatic transmission, but I've had no luck. All the cheap one's I find have plastic ends and that obviously didn't work for me before. What's the best?
________
PORTABLE HOMEMADE VAPORIZER

Last edited:

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
i dont know any of the alum ones having a built in trans cooler.

you are much better off running an external aftermarket trans cooler anyway. you can get a pretty decent one for less than $50.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Just buy an external trans cooler, they're cheap and much better at cooling then fluid then the radiator cooler.

JohnRardin

JDM 7MGTE
Apr 4, 2006
Radford, VA
Sweet. Looks like my friend might be able to hook me up with a fluidyne and a transmission cooler. I think he said it was a stock one from a M/T so my question is: Will this setup work on an A/T without too much trouble?
________
Harmed by depakote

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The automatic transmission cars all have a cooling system that runs through the radiator. If you block the line, you will destroy the transmission. If you reroute them back in, you will overheat the transmission, requiring a rebuild in short order. The lines on the trans have to be run through the factory cooler, which a 5 speed doesn't have, or an external cooler.

Getting a five speed radiator is fine. As stated, it is all for the engine, giving you more cooling capacity. By a little bit. But then you need an external trans cooler. And they are not very much, but require light fabrication-mounting. You can get an external trans cooler for trucks, rated in BTU's. You won't over heat your trans.

Good questions you have.

JohnRardin

JDM 7MGTE
Apr 4, 2006
Radford, VA
Nick M;1313150 said:
The automatic transmission cars all have a cooling system that runs through the radiator. If you block the line, you will destroy the transmission. If you reroute them back in, you will overheat the transmission, requiring a rebuild in short order. The lines on the trans have to be run through the factory cooler, which a 5 speed doesn't have, or an external cooler.

Getting a five speed radiator is fine. As stated, it is all for the engine, giving you more cooling capacity. By a little bit. But then you need an external trans cooler. And they are not very much, but require light fabrication-mounting. You can get an external trans cooler for trucks, rated in BTU's. You won't over heat your trans.

Good questions you have.

Thanks, I appreciate your help. I'm working on getting a ride out to Richmond this weekend so hopefully I can have it running Monday. It looks like I'm gunna have to install this in the random parking lot it died in. I just hope I didnt do any serious damage to my engine.

Anyone have any suggestions for easiest place to mount a trans cooler?
Are there any mods to get a fluidyne to fit easily?

Thanks!
________
Zoloft lawsuit

Last edited:

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The one on the right...under the driver's side, forward fender, aft of the fog light. It's a TruCool w/ a Spal Fan:

Supra Motor Install 04.JPG

This is a better option IMO:
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...1&part=BMM%2D70298&N=700+115&autoview=sku

The B&M with a fan is the same bar/plate design and it has a temp switch to turn the fan on/off.

I would also add a filter to this in a complete circuit. I have mine under the passenger side in the same location below a remote oil filter. A Trasko bypass filter is excellent for the tranny, but you can use a conventional filter as well. BTW - ditch the stainless hose...AeroQuip socketless (or equivalent) is a much better choice.

JohnRardin

JDM 7MGTE
Apr 4, 2006
Radford, VA
All right, I made a trade with my friend D for a fluidyne, a 12" fan, and a oil cooler from a M/T, red vac hoses, and a fender. I think I got a good deal considering I traded him an old crankshaft, ISC sensor, black vac hoses, polished manifold shields and 200 bucks. Not bad. Will the oil cooler suffice until I can get a legit trans cooler? I'm going to have to install this in a parking lot so I need all the help I can get. I don't plan on messing with the Efan until I get everything else installed.
________
Web shows

Last edited:

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The stock oil cooler is a bit small for the tranny...it is good for a powersteering cooler though.

JohnRardin

JDM 7MGTE
Apr 4, 2006
Radford, VA
jdub;1315503 said:
The stock oil cooler is a bit small for the tranny...it is good for a powersteering cooler though.

uh oh. I was planning on doin that tomorrow just to get it running. Is this idea dangerous? I hope to have a good one in a week but.... will this work for now?
________
Web shows

Last edited:

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
It's better than nothing, but I'll warn you...excessive ATF temps will kill an auto tranny. #2 on that list is debris (crap in the fluid). That is why I suggested a real filter earlier.

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
About how long can the auto tranny run before it gets too hot? A couple mins? This is without the proper cooler and either the smaller one, or just looping it back in for now. Mini thread-jack but not quite ;).
eric

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
It doesn't take long, especially under agressive driving. I would check the AFT (burned smell) on a very regular basis.

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
What about just idleing, or moving slowly to park or move the car? Will the tranny heat up enough in that time/harshness to damage? Maybe 4-5 mins of barely driving?
eric

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
No...that will not be a problem. What you don't want to do is overheat the fluid multiple cycles.

JohnRardin

JDM 7MGTE
Apr 4, 2006
Radford, VA
Ok I got the best cooler that Advance Auto had and the hoses and mounting kit. I'm planning on installing everything tomorrow with any luck. My question now is, which filter should I use that advance would carry? No one at the advance store had any clue what to suggest and the employees basically just tried to tell me that its not necessary. It may be overkill but filters are less than $20... I don't plan on replacing my tranny twice.
________
Volcano vaporizer review

Last edited: