Best 4" speakers

RIPDOTCOM

May 22, 2005
Tallahassee, FL
I bought some cheapo Lightning Audio 4" speakers fro the front of my 88 NA supra and they sound like crapola. Can someone recommend a good set of 4" speakers that will sound good with a basic JVC CD player rated at 50W per channel?

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I can vouch for the kappas and als ofor Rockford punches. I had the Rockford's in my supra doors and they were good enough to make the doors rattle and vibrate my mirror. My kappas were very good with the clarity, but as expected did not perform heavily on base. For more base I would reccomend hearing some Rockford powers, rocks are very good for base.
eric

billspreston01

Jun 2, 2005
North Carolina
I think mine are the stock speakers (look like carbon fibre) are they any good? (besides the fact that mine look trashed haha) I have the door panels off and I was thinking about replacing them. I don't even know if the ones in there work or not because I still have the stock radio (89) and it just says 'SEC'. Anybody know how to make the stereo work again? I just want to know if the speakers work or not.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
to see if they work your going to have to remove them just unscrew the speaker, you dont have to remove the door panel. pull the speaker out unplug it, and go test it on with an amp. more than likely the stock speakers are blown or are so old that they will sound like crap.

DrakeMK3

"The Duck"
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Hmm...on all the supras I've owned you MUST remove the door panel to get access to the wires and to unbolt the speakers from the box they sit in. I think some supras didn't come with the "premium audio", but mine have always had it.

DrakeMK3

"The Duck"
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Well, then, since they're already off, there's no question.

Back to the speakers, I'm currently just using stock cones with a single bazooka 8" tube in the trunk and couldn't be happier. It sounds good to me because I can adjust everything with my headunit (aiwa mp3, cd, cd-r player w/ aux input). Having the main car speakers handle all of the mid and high and the tube supplying the bass...it really lets the stock audio shine. All of my speakers are in good shape though and I don't blast my music like some of those inpolite people in traffic. ;)

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
i have the rockford fosgate power series in the door (4inch) and the 5.5's in the rear. car sounds really good. i need to get another set of 4inch ones for the middle.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
DrakeMK3 said:
Hmm...on all the supras I've owned you MUST remove the door panel to get access to the wires and to unbolt the speakers from the box they sit in. I think some supras didn't come with the "premium audio", but mine have always had it.

hmm well i was able to remove them by just unscrewing the 3 bolts that hold the fronts on.

DrakeMK3

"The Duck"
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Do you have an N/A? If so, that could be why you can take them off. On most turbo models they have a box that the speaker bolts into with 4 bolts, whereas, the n/a's have a 3 bolt/screw type. On the former, the panels MUST come off to get access the speakers. The only thing you can do by removing the speaker cover on a model like mine (89 Turbo with premium sound) is just inspect the cone.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
yea
i got an NA and yea it has the 3 screw things.
hmm y would they do somethign different for the T models?

albertmdh

Apr 7, 2005
Fredericksburg, VA
to be annoying, thats why. i just put some of those lightening audio ones in my car too, for 25$ they sound pretty damn good i thought. I went to put kenwoods in the back, how do you get the old ones out?

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
I have an '87 N/A and it had a ported enclosure that the speakers were bolted into. The speakers looked like Kevlar.
They sounded OK overall. But the clearity sucked.

Furball

Yes, I play Halo
Apr 2, 2005
Merced, CA
Older JL Audio Evolution TR400 series (I don't know how the newer model ones will perform). I love em. My friend who is very into car audio said they have the most bass for a 4" that he has ever heard. Their clarity is great as well. No tin like highs, muddy mids, or flat lows. They just have nice sound. I can bottom them out with too much bass, but they usually sound fantastic.

Xtreme

May 23, 2005
Lebanon, OR
IMHO Boston Acoustics componants (SP) sound the best. Great clarity, good mids, soft dome tweeter that isn't too harsh. Why get bass out of a 4 inch, thats what subs are for.