Been a while, quick ct-26 upgrade Q's

xturboexpress

Not new.
Mar 29, 2006
Dallas, TX
This must be my first post in years, but I still have the first SupraMania.com stickers in the 1/4 windows =)

So, basically, If I do a 57, 60, or 61 trim upgrade on a CT26, what says that its not going to blow and start burning oil like the stock CT26? I know 15psi on a stock CT26 is a no-no but theres no telling that to this supras owner =)

The way I see it, any trim, even that ebay 67 trim monster, just replaces the compressor side parts. If I were to run 15psi on a 60-1 trim, wouldn't the same stress still be put on the center section and bearings that has been before?

Or, is the idea that I would run a lower boost level, say 12psi, and the difference in CFM would make my power, not psi?

Someone please clarify, we're looking for 400hp+ daily. The car made 333whp @ 15psi on stock ct at 9:1 AF. We have a SAFCII now so we should be able to lean it out some. The point is though that he never wants to deal with a blown turbo again.

Any help would rock. The guy I sold my MKIII to has blown a ton of ct26s and wants to upgrade, trying to find the best route.

Also, if anyone has heard anything about that monster 67R CT26 upgrade on ebay, let me know =)

Also again, everyone seems to be OK with XS Power now. Last I heard they couldn't make a ball that rolled. I guess their IC's fit well and flow decent? I just skimmed thru and saw a bit of praise for them, thats cool. What about their manifolds???

Bigdough666

Picture Me Rollin
Apr 4, 2005
Corpus Christi, TX
Youre never gonna get a turbo that you wont have to worry about blowing. Every turbo is prone to the same problems, its all about how you take care of it. I run a 60-1 w/10 degree clip on the exhaust side at 21psi all day long. Its been almost 2 years now and I dont have any probs with it. Make sure you let it cool down properly, turbo timers are your friend. I wouldnt go any bigger than 60-1. A friend of mine has been running a 62-1 for a couple years now but I wouldnt.

Ive seen that monster upgrade on Ebay, but I dont know anything about it, havent heard anything about it from anyone either. Im pretty sure its too big though because a lot of people say that a 60-1 is too big already.

I think you'll get 400+ out of a CT upgrade with tuning. I put down 350 untuned, so once I get a tune, I should be good to go.

xturboexpress

Not new.
Mar 29, 2006
Dallas, TX
So what is it that allows a 60-1 to run 21psi safely if it uses the same bearings and seals as my stock CT26 that can't hold 15psi? Is it the efficienty range possibly, the stock CT is just getting too hot?

I've had a few timers by the way, he's using a new greddy, and he uses it religiously. I think he uses it too much even, I don't think thats the problem.

MmmBoost

DDS Performance
the stock ct's compressor wheel just isnt effieient enough to flow more that 15psi without creating too much heat. i dont think that it would cause the turbo to blow, but it sure wouldnt give you a lot more power, and would most likely lead to lots of detonation

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
The durability problems stem from the shaft rotation speed.

The stock CT-26 will produce 15psi at a very high, and over driven shaft speed.

An upgraded CT-26 does not need to spin anywhere near as fast to produce the same amount of pressure or airflow.

This places far less stress on the CT-26's undersized shaft, because, for each increase RPM there is a exponential increase in the applied forces(centrifugal force, minute inconsistencies in the weight distribution of the wheel causing vibration, ect.).

So you want to run the turbo at as low an RPM as possible, but still fast enough to produce the desired CFM. An upgraded wheel can assist in this matter.

xturboexpress

Not new.
Mar 29, 2006
Dallas, TX
dirgle said:
The durability problems stem from the shaft rotation speed.

The stock CT-26 will produce 15psi at a very high, and over driven shaft speed.

An upgraded CT-26 does not need to spin anywhere near as fast to produce the same amount of pressure or airflow.

This places far less stress on the CT-26's undersized shaft, because, for each increase RPM there is a exponential increase in the applied forces(centrifugal force, minute inconsistencies in the weight distribution of the wheel causing vibration, ect.).

So you want to run the turbo at as low an RPM as possible, but still fast enough to produce the desired CFM. An upgraded wheel can assist in this matter.

Ah! I came to a similar conclusion a few minutes ago when I was passing the info on to the owner. That is exactly what I needed to hear. After thinking it over a minute or two I figured that RPM and heat were the factors causing his turbos to blow and burn oil. Thanks!

Any reccomendations of shops to trim up this turbo? Majestic here in dallas seems to be the only place around, but I know there has to be a better shop somewhere near.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
If you don't mind sending it out and would like to support a member of this community, I recommend MDCmotorsports. He is a really good guy and has done great things for this community. He currently offers a Ball Bearing upgrade for the CT-26, as well as other turbo services, all for a really good price. Get in touch with him and let him know what your looking for, I'm sure he can point you in the right direction.

User Name: MCDmotorsports

MDC Motorsports
Jon Martindale
812-343-0052