Bad turbo seal? :(

Back2Basics

Regular
Dec 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Well I've had my turbo off the car for a while cleaning it up inside and out. I used carb cleaner, but thoroughly washed it out afterwards. So tonight I poured some oil into it just to prime it up. After sitting there for about 5 minutes I check it, and there is oil leaking from in between the turbine and that cup thingy thats next to it. Its not flowing or anything, but the paper towl was saturated.

I take it this shouldnt be happening? Bad turbo seal? I blew white smoke when the car was running (overheating as well) so I did the headgasket and it still smoked. Think the smoking was a bad turbo seal all along?

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Turbo seals only seal when under 3 forms of pressure:

-Oil pressure
-vacuum
-Exhaust or boost pressure

If its leaking while it has oil in it when its out of the car - its normal (unless its a carbon seal ct26 but I highly doubt it unless you got it off of a diesel carbed engine).

Back2Basics

Regular
Dec 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Not doubting you MDC, but there are some people that are telling me that the seals are bad. They're saying that if its leaking from in between the turbine blade and heat shield it could possibly be a siezed c-clip? I dont know, just thought I'd see what you think.

gp-7mgte

Ramrod
May 29, 2005
under my hood
sorry if i am hacking this thread, but could u loose coolant through a bad turbo seal. because i have a small coolant leak (metal HG, new radiator, lines are not leaking, not over heating) but i have a bad turbo so i am thinking that the coolant is coming out from there?

Back2Basics

Regular
Dec 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Looking at my turbo, I dont think so. The only coolant leak from the turbo could be if its leaking from the coolant hardline flanges. The coolant just flows past the shaft; theres a wall in between the coolant and shaft that closes the coolant off to the rest of the turbo so I dont think blown seals would cause a turbo coolant leak. Like usual, correct me if I'm wrong.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Unless the water cavity has rusted through into the bearing housing - no it can't leak.

A ct26 also doesn't have a C clip inside to hold the bearings, thus there can't be a loose c clip inside.

Drunkendonuts

Feb 16, 2007
Eugene, Oregon
you know I'm having the same problem, my coolant just seems to go away, no spots on the ground, the oil is clear, the HG problem was taken care of, just my coolant is going somewhere :aigo: