Automatic Transmission Question

jessetooslow

May 11, 2007
Tiverton, R.I.
Ok, not sure if this has been asked or even tried. Can you take a NA automatic tranny and turn it into a Turbo automatic tranny? meaning adding the clutches and what not? or do you think its a waste of money. I ask this cause their are so many NA automatic trannies on ebay for cheap. 1 more things. IPT makes a built tranny, tyhey also have valve bodies they do, anyone have a valve body from them, how are they?

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
IPT builds good valve bodies and they sell great clutches for the auto's. I don't know anything about the differences between an NA auto and a turbo auto. I really didn't even know there was a difference. IPT is expensive, but if you're going to stay automatic then there a good company to deal with.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I have an IPT built tranny...valve body, 3000 RPM TC, upgraded clutch packs, etc, etc. I am happy with it...aggressive shifts (barks the tires shifting to 2nd) and builds boost all the way to WOT.

I sent a turbo tranny to them...the NA has fewer clutch packs vs the turbo. I'd give IPT a call to see if the additional packs can be added to the NA version.

I'll warn you...this is not cheap ;)

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
You need the larger forward clutch drum, second brake drum and first and reverse brake drum to install the extra discs. It would be much easier to source a turbo auto trans than just those component partrs.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
You should be able to find a turbo a340e somewhere cheap. Nobody wants them. I personally like my auto. I wouldn't buy one unless you see the car it came from though. It would be too easy to misrepresent since you can't visually tell them apart.

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
IPT is working on a billet converter for the A340E & 7M.
They first thought that it would be the same as the 2J/A341E,
but it is way different.
I talked to Ty there just a few weeks ago, and he says maybe before Christmas.
I am looking to have one done up for 4000-4500 stall.

ATI makes a heavy duty flex plate for the 7M, but has a bolt pattern for a GM converter.
They can be re-drilled to fit the 7M converter by any machine shop.

I have done a NA trans to take extra plates, but it is a LOT of machine work.
I would not go through that again......
Just one of those 'What if' projects, that once your started, you can't stop.

Because of the A340 sprag issues, you would be better off doing the whole GM trans conversion.
Much more strength, and better selection of aftermarket parts available, like manual valve bodies.

I think ATI sells all the parts to do it, and probably others.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Since the valve body is electronic, you can make your own manual shifter. Or buy one from somebody else.

The 2JZ uses an updatd stornger version of the A340 than the 7MGTE. The A341 is for the original 4.0 V8. The 1JZ used a version called the A342. I don't know much about it, as it wasn't used over here. And Toyota doesn't publish info on products they don't sell.

I am pretty sure you could make the changes from a GE to a GTE trans. IPT would probably do it if you paid them more money. But I too see many A340 trans on ebay, including the stronger 2JZ version. I think that is the way to go.

The advice about the GM trans is good. IPT themselves suggest it for drag racers if you plan on running faster than a 10.0. The one way clutch(sprag) is stronger on THM400, it was intended for a BBC, not a 3.0.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Nick, would the A341 or 342 work on a 7m with the 7m bellhousing? Any electronics issues to deal with or is it plug and play? This is one subject I have not seen talked about, although I admit I haven't looked.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I'm using an Aristo Valve body in my 340, I did this when I went DBW and lost the line pressure cable, you'll need something like the PCS controller to run it as it uses PWM solenoids for the TC lock and line pressure control.

jessetooslow

May 11, 2007
Tiverton, R.I.
gtsfirefighter;1197717 said:
Nick, would the A341 or 342 work on a 7m with the 7m bellhousing? Any electronics issues to deal with or is it plug and play? This is one subject I have not seen talked about, although I admit I haven't looked.

I'm curious to know the same thing, can I take a automatic tranny from a 2JZ car and just bolt it up and go, or is it totally different.

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
jessetooslow;1197783 said:
I'm curious to know the same thing, can I take a automatic tranny from a 2JZ car and just bolt it up and go, or is it totally different.

i do believe you will need a tranny controller

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
jessetooslow;1197841 said:
so it does bolt up? whats the difference between the 7m tranny and the 2JZ tranny?
the drive shaft yoke is different.not sure about bolting it to a 7m bellhousing.i know people have used the 1jz tranny that way.you can source them very cheap too.i tossed mine in the garbage when i went 5spd.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
tsuper92;1197849 said:
the drive shaft yoke is different.not sure about bolting it to a 7m bellhousing.i know people have used the 1jz tranny that way.you can source them very cheap too.i tossed mine in the garbage when i went 5spd.

The bellhousing part is the only thing I know. It will have to be swapped. The other stuff I have no idea about, like the ECT electronics, the harness plugs, driveshaft differences...etc...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Well yeah of course you have to put the correct bellhousing on to suit the engine but you CAN'T use the 7M TC in the Later Model Trans.

ECT won't work as I detailed on the previous page you need to go aftermarket.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The A341 had a 2.50:1 first gear when it debuted. You don't want it.

The A342 is supposed to be the performance trans, but was never used in the states. And I have never seen published tech info from Toyota on it. I suspect the differences are in the valve body.

One other thing of note. I recently read that the 4L80 is nothing like the 4L60. But infact is a THM400 with overdrive. That has always been a hold up for me when considering a switch. But that extra gear changes things. You don't want to do the switch to domestic unless you drag race a lot and are fast.

I will probably still just go with the IPT A340 myself.

smoke72

Aug 3, 2008
North Carolina
I have an A340E auto. out of my 89 turbo. It had all the gears except reverse,but was told it was the valve body. You could feel it jump into rev. but would not move without reving up to 3500. If you or anyone needs a spare i will sell or consider trades for something useful