ARP install help!

BoostLess7mge

JDM owns me...
Aug 29, 2005
Chicago
I went to install my ARP main studs last night and i ran into a problem! On the #4 cap, there are those spacers that go around the bearing and crank. I put the studs in and put the cap back on, now the crank is VERY hard to turn and when I turn it the spacers are binding because i can see metal shavings :( I've tried to adjust this several times with no luck and I don't want to permanently damage something. anyone ever run into this problem, what could it be? please help!

-Steve

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
BoostLess7mge;1031605 said:
I went to install my ARP main studs last night and i ran into a problem! On the #4 cap, there are those spacers that go around the bearing and crank. I put the studs in and put the cap back on, now the crank is VERY hard to turn and when I turn it the spacers are binding because i can see metal shavings :( I've tried to adjust this several times with no luck and I don't want to permanently damage something. anyone ever run into this problem, what could it be? please help!

-Steve
Spacers? Are you talking about the thrust washers/spacers?

castrol supra

Semper Fidelis
May 8, 2008
The Back 9.
The head needs to be placed onto the guide pins. THEN the washers into the slots and then the studs.

This doesn't sound healthy with the mention of metal shavings and all.

Best of luck.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
castrol supra;1031630 said:
The head needs to be placed onto the guide pins. THEN the washers into the slots and then the studs.

This doesn't sound healthy with the mention of metal shavings and all.

Best of luck.
He's talking about the mains. The #4 cap if that's the one that has the thrush washers have grooves in them for the washers to set in. And yes metal shavings and the hard turning of a crank is NOT good. It should spin freely. Could be the bearings are not sized right. Did you at least plastigauge them?

BoostLess7mge

JDM owns me...
Aug 29, 2005
Chicago
yea im guessing those are the thrust washers then. let me be a little more specific. when i took the pistons off the crank, it spun very nice and smooth. i took the factory main bolts out to put the ARP main studs in and when i got to the #4 cap i put the studs in, put the thrust washers in the same exact way i took them out, and now the crank is very tight... i tried to backtrack and see if i did anything different, and now im stuck. the metal shavings were very minimal and i stopped as soon as i saw them, and came to ask you guys!

any other ideas?

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
BoostLess7mge;1031724 said:
yea im guessing those are the thrust washers then. let me be a little more specific. when i took the pistons off the crank, it spun very nice and smooth. i took the factory main bolts out to put the ARP main studs in and when i got to the #4 cap i put the studs in, put the thrust washers in the same exact way i took them out, and now the crank is very tight... i tried to backtrack and see if i did anything different, and now im stuck. the metal shavings were very minimal and i stopped as soon as i saw them, and came to ask you guys!

any other ideas?
Check the TSRM, there is suppose to be some clearence in between the washers, don't recall what is is. But it should spin freely with those in. I assume you used assembly lube or at least oil to install the bearings and washers. Did you plastigauge your bearings? You have to torque the caps in a specific order, and with the main studs there is one cap that has to take the bolts instead of studs, there is a clearance issue with the studs on that one.