Are my turbos shot?

c_ronius

1jz 4Runner
Jan 2, 2007
Tampa, FL
www.rsworld.com
Hi, First post here as you can see, I usually search to find what I need...but I hope someone can provide some help...

first a little background since I'm a newb here...
I have been working on my 1jz 4runner for well over a year now, and I just got her started the other day. This is my first jz and my first turbo motor. But I have been wrenching on cars since I can remember, and I'm fairly familiar on how engine systems work, and I have amassed lots of knowledge on this motor since I got this crazy idea a year and a half ago... I want to keep the stock twins so no need for the "go-single" comments. I bought my Soarer clip from Jarco some time ago...pristine full clip with hood, less than 47K confirmed on the dash, and the whole clip was in exceptionally good shape. I got it started as soon as it was delivered, and it felt and sounded great. I could hear the turbo's spinning up, and the BOV working properly upon throttle release. It's now in the truck and I've got her started, still a couple of things left before I can actually drive it though. As of now I have gauges for..volts; boost/vac; h2o temp; oil press. I also have some Innovate monitoring stuff hooked up...wideband; rpm; MAP; EGT; timing, but I am waiting for my pcmcia-to-serial converter, until it arrives I have no monitor on the Innovate sensors. 1jz with: intake, 2.5 intercooler piping and upraded intercooler, custom 2.5 to 3" y-pipe, 3" downpipe (cat and muffler not complete yet). other than that, stock Soarer system.

Now for the problem...

-It runs beautifully, just like it did when it was in the clip. BUT it is making no boost (Soarer did not have a boost gauge). It idles at around 22 vac. no tach till I get the Innovate stuff up and going but if had to guess I can rev it up to about 4-5K and no boost, vac lowers to about 12-15, but thats's it!
I'm afraid to run the rpms up without the tach.
-No leaks of any kind, BOV has been removed and checked, it is like new and operates fine.
-I have had the turbos off the motor, both seem to be in good shape, no damage, scars, or stains on any of the wheels, and very little shaft play. I could spin the wheels just fine, but I don't know how much resistance I should feel.
-I can remove the pipe on the intake, and feel air being pumped from the turbo system as I rev it.
-There is the slightest amount of white smoke only when letting off throttle.
-No codes.

I can't think of anything else other than turbo failure, not making enough boost to overcome the vaccuum?? yet still looking and sounding like good turbos from a very clean clip?? I should have my tach up in a day or two then I'll give it some high revs to see if they "wake up" maybe.

For those in the know...Are they shot or can anyone think of something else to check?

Sorry for the long winded post, but I find more info gets to the bottom of things better.
Thanks in advance.
Nick.

Turbosidosis

PVC FTW
Mar 31, 2005
Houston (Sugar Land), TX
no not really, just a little bit as you described. Even if you rev it to 5k, without load, it won't boost but a little

I still have a stock boost guage and that laggy bastard sits at the bottom until a second or two after I hear the turbos boosting.

Last edited:

bobiseverywhere

bobb'n for money
Apr 1, 2005
Montreal
www.bobiseverywhere.com
I have a HKS gauge wich is a bit quicker then the stock one to react.

I could build a little bit of boost pressure by just revving it. But you have to rev it quite high. Like Past 4500 and pushing the throtle pretty far.

check for Vacum Leaks and Books leaks on your piping and manifold. Check the Exhaust mani for leaks as well.

The turbos should have basically no resistance to you trying to spin them by hand. they should spin freely. Shaft play well there should be virtually nothing.

Also check your compression if you have not already

Have you done anything else to the engine. Like disassemble it before you installed it, changed cams, injectors, etc.

Ninja Edit:

Welcome to Supramania BTW

And yes the Stock gauge is Crazy super laggy and not worth crap. it you do not have a boost gauge deff get one. To understand whats going on with your turbos better.

Also have you change out your PCV valve for the better Metal one?

c_ronius

1jz 4Runner
Jan 2, 2007
Tampa, FL
www.rsworld.com
bobiseverywhere said:
Also check your compression if you have not already

Have you done anything else to the engine. Like disassemble it before you installed it, changed cams, injectors, etc.

I have an autometer gauge, and the innovate will be operational in a day or two for cross reference.

Compression is good, I don't recall where I put the data, I did it some time ago when I got the clip.

Aside from minor stuff, I have had the whole turbo system off, and replaced items in the front like: h2o pump, timing belt, main seal, serpentine. The intake side has not been removed, nor the injectors or sensors.

All oem parts, and I am a very competant mechanic. Not to say I do not make mistakes, but I would least suspect my removal and re-installation of the engine parts.

I am a turbo noob, so maybe I just havn't given it enough gas since it's under no load to see the boost. I'm waiting till the tach is hooked up to give it anymore than I have though.

THANK YOU for the replies. any other inputs?

Nick.

supradan22

NA->TER
May 20, 2005
ORLANDO FL
Yeah you really wont build up much boost free reving but if your running the car and still no boost my guess would be to check the lines.

Oh welcome to Supramania and post pic I wanna see the 4runner.

shlounek

Jan 30, 2007
Michigan
You have bad exhaust wheel on one of the turbo's prolly mis-aligned. I had the same problem it had no shaft play. But car was laggy as hell no power and no boost, until one day the exhaust wheel just snapped and then boom oil everywhere and white smoke. It was the front turbo, the rear turbo was fine. I think my issue that ruined the turbo in the first place was not properly installing the BOV. And Compression surge.

If it wasnt bad turbo's you shoudl still be able to build some type of boost anything, otherwise i would say its your turbo's

drewgo

Akuna MaTata...!
Dec 1, 2006
South florida
c_ronius said:
I have an autometer gauge, and the innovate will be operational in a day or two for cross reference.

Compression is good, I don't recall where I put the data, I did it some time ago when I got the clip.

Aside from minor stuff, I have had the whole turbo system off, and replaced items in the front like: h2o pump, timing belt, main seal, serpentine. The intake side has not been removed, nor the injectors or sensors.

All oem parts, and I am a very competant mechanic. Not to say I do not make mistakes, but I would least suspect my removal and re-installation of the engine parts.

I am a turbo noob, so maybe I just havn't given it enough gas since it's under no load to see the boost. I'm waiting till the tach is hooked up to give it anymore than I have though.

THANK YOU for the replies. any other inputs?

Nick.
Hey, I would give it gas, hard, to about 5k, maybe a lil past that. but you should build boost on the stock twins. I don't want to repeat what someone said, but check for play or seized turbos by doing it with your hand.
I am in South Florida , but back in November 3 friend all running 1jz with stock twins blew their engines within days apart. The cause... them turbos. On cooler nights turbo tend to spool much much faster and then to over boost pass their set limit. 11psi stock. Well with the chill air they went and killed their engine. Oil everywhere, white smoke. I mention that just to bring awareness that these turbo are quite frail. I encourage everyone running them to upgrade. I am on my 3rd 1jz and I am taking them out this week and I've only completed the swap just of few weeks ago. That's just my advice.
good luck with it.

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
It's true the turbos are kind of weak. I blow them up all the time (about every 5-6 months). That seems kind of weird that people's engines are blowing up from more boost. Did they spit out material into the engine or what?

In my personal experience they are fine until you start running over 13ish lbs for long periods of time. The "problem" you're having seems normal. Like everyone else said. You should be able to rev it hard and build a little boost. I was wondering why you don't just rev it out a few times? It has a rev limiter you can't go too high.

My $.02