Anyone run a full 3" exhaust, with no mufflers?

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
No cats, no mufflers. Just a turbocharger, then 3" exhaust, all the way out the back.

Anyone done it? Audio clips?

I'm trying to determine if no muffler at all will be quieter than this damn 40 series Flowmaster + 2 x 3" tips.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
I've got a DDP to test pipe, and straight 3" catback.

Suprisingly quiet at idle, but can get loud when you give it some gas. Doesn't really bother me.

boost fiend

Banned
Jul 24, 2005
Rockford, Il
i agree with mass!!!

idle is quiet and all, but that wide open it can get to ya after a while.

i like it but the fiancee dont like the idea!!

born2drv

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Burbank, CA
i'm a big fan of cut-outs... nice and quiet when you want it, flip a swtch and it's loud... or in my case hit 5psi and it opens up automatically.

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
I run a homemade 3.5 inch exhaust with a short 12 inch 3.5 ID glasspack. It is all painted flat black and is not noticeable @ all from the rear of the car. Cops don't pay any attention. It has a nice smooth tone, and isn't that loud at all, even under full boost.

89supturbo

Jul 28, 2006
Delmar, NY
yea, cops dont like to follow you so much for the sound of your exhaust as much as they do for thee look of it, the ricer tanabe kung fu mufflers will get you pulled over all the time if u get a flowmaster that isnt as noticaable tho they dont bother you as much

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
wrong answer all of you

it might not be loud inside the driver cabin but have someone drive the car and be inback of it and it is a totally different (and cop magnet) sound ;)

GotBoost?

I do
Nov 25, 2005
By My Computer
Friend has a custom, no muffler or resonator, straight 3 inch pipe that came with his 90 Turbo. Sounds bad, imo. Not so much the loudness, but from the outside, the quality of the sound stinks (don't know from the inside, I haven't rode in this car yet). A muffler filters out high frequency sounds. Since there's no muffler, higher frequency sounds come out, and it sounds closer to a flatulent 240sx than a 3L Supra inline. I'd definitely run a 3 inch straight thru muffler, but that's my opinion. Sorry, not sound clips.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
figgie said:
wrong answer all of you

it might not be loud inside the driver cabin but have someone drive the car and be inback of it and it is a totally different (and cop magnet) sound ;)

yuppp. ive got a full three inch exhaust from the turbo back to a megan n1 muffler. it sounds great.

from inside the car its loud, from out side of the car its LOUD! ive been told you can hear the car from several block away.

PorterzSupra

Oct 25, 2005
Hebron CT
GotBoost? said:
Friend has a custom, no muffler or resonator, straight 3 inch pipe that came with his 90 Turbo. Sounds bad, imo. Not so much the loudness, but from the outside, the quality of the sound stinks (don't know from the inside, I haven't rode in this car yet). A muffler filters out high frequency sounds. Since there's no muffler, higher frequency sounds come out, and it sounds closer to a flatulent 240sx than a 3L Supra inline. I'd definitely run a 3 inch straight thru muffler, but that's my opinion. Sorry, not sound clips.

That's correct, the muffler filters out the bad sounds and cleans it up a bit. You need a muffler for a nice tone. Its like glasspacks on a mustang, they sound like shit but are loud, flowmaster sounds ALOT nicer but is a little quieter! You need a good muffler to cancel out the bad frequencys!! You dont wanna rattel like a honda! If you want it to be loud get a external dump wastegate for when u get on it hard, look under Supra videos for a clip of mine with one!! (Z06 NA-T Magic) I am running 3inch stright into muffler and external dump wastegate