anyone ever try respraying their own guitar?

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
well i, really debating doing this. 2 reasons. 1) my very first guitar would be a cool and fun project to do and 2) my new axe, recently got a chip in it (its barely noticeable but im really pissed about it right now).
So anyone ever try doing this? im plannign on buyin a spray gun/compressor combo for my car anyway so i doubt tools woudl be really an issue. anyone ver here do it? Any advice/ good sights (i googled but some of those sights... i dont know...) is appreciated.

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
JustAnotherVictim said:
No idea. Chips add character lol.
i did a temp fill with nail polsih to that :"character" its so gay cause i got a white guitar and you see a small little liek scratch of black. its not really noticable and i usually strum there anywya but ugh, im a perfectionist. Ill keep on looking!

Sl1dewaysSupra

Destroyer of FWD's
Mar 14, 2006
Colorado
I have a Dean ML that the previous owner SPRAY PAINTED! They didnt even take the guitar apart or mask it off. They just painted it, first silver then red w/ 1980's black tiger stripes and finally solid flat black and super glued magazine pics to the body! The best advice I can give you is take your time and don't cut corners on the prep work.

Bluesoup1

a bit at a time!
Sep 17, 2005
London, Ont. Canada
CryoSlash said:
well i, really debating doing this. 2 reasons. 1) my very first guitar would be a cool and fun project to do and 2) my new axe, recently got a chip in it (its barely noticeable but im really pissed about it right now).
So anyone ever try doing this? im plannign on buyin a spray gun/compressor combo for my car anyway so i doubt tools woudl be really an issue. anyone ver here do it? Any advice/ good sights (i googled but some of those sights... i dont know...) is appreciated.
Hey, how's it going? I'm a guitar builder.I've done the operation many times. It's good to know what finish you are dealing with. Is it an electric or accoustic? What make is it? is it solid wood or plywood? Solid colour or sunburst? If the finish is polyester, it will be much more difficult to remove. When you are sanding the body, be very carefull not to remove any more material than absolutly nesessary, especially if the body is plywood, and the finish is transparent, or even partially, as in sunburst.I recomend using nitro celulose laquer. If you are in the States you have better choices than here in Canada. I recomend the American formula guardsman, as I have had the best results, and it has a much nicer feel than most. Apply 8 to 12 coats depending on how thick each coat is. then leave it to cure 2 to 4 weeks before wet sanding and buffing. If you are using a solid colour, you will need to build flat, then apply colour then top coat 4 to5 coats then cure...

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
Bluesoup1 said:
Hey, how's it going? I'm a guitar builder.I've done the operation many times. It's good to know what finish you are dealing with. Is it an electric or accoustic? What make is it? is it solid wood or plywood? Solid colour or sunburst? If the finish is polyester, it will be much more difficult to remove. When you are sanding the body, be very carefull not to remove any more material than absolutly nesessary, especially if the body is plywood, and the finish is transparent, or even partially, as in sunburst.I recomend using nitro celulose laquer. If you are in the States you have better choices than here in Canada. I recomend the American formula guardsman, as I have had the best results, and it has a much nicer feel than most. Apply 8 to 12 coats depending on how thick each coat is. then leave it to cure 2 to 4 weeks before wet sanding and buffing. If you are using a solid colour, you will need to build flat, then apply colour then top coat 4 to5 coats then cure...
Cool info! thanks! Yeah this is for my Yamaha RGXA2. I only want to do a small patch cause literally the paint is brand new and has oen small stupid ding in it. Its a sold very lightweight wood called Alternative Internal Resonance, but tahst in the central, the outer wood is more dense. Hm wel lthe polyester finish will be a PITA... im in canada too so im stuck with your option! Is there any guitar like wood filler for this small dent in it?

Bluesoup1

a bit at a time!
Sep 17, 2005
London, Ont. Canada
Bluesoup1 said:
sorry dude, i see you're in Mr Sauga, if you know someone who is goin to the States, you could get them to pick up some guardsman, if not i would use the Mohawk musical instrument laquer, the supplier is out of Montreal, called richelieu i believe, and i see your guit is white, so you will want to build the finish till it is flat, with clear. Make sure to use a block to ensure flatness, then spray your white, you can get the tint from any glidden store. mix the tint with clear laquer and a bit of thinner to get the proper viscosity(must be very thin to spray from cup gun), while white is srill wet, spray a couple mist coats of clear. let it dry for 20 min or so then give it a good wet coat.Not too much or it will run, conciquently pulling the colour, and you will need to start over. let it cure for a day, then sand lightly and put a couple more heavy coats on. repeat every day for the next few, then let cure, wet sand , buff, voila! an easier way is to call The Hank to Hendrix Guitar co. in Peterborough, and get Wayne to give you a price, he does pro tour work at a reasonable price, good luck, cheers Davo

Bluesoup1

a bit at a time!
Sep 17, 2005
London, Ont. Canada
Bluesoup1 said:
sorry dude, i see you're in Mr Sauga, if you know someone who is goin to the States, you could get them to pick up some guardsman, if not i would use the Mohawk musical instrument laquer, the supplier is out of Montreal, called richelieu i believe, and i see your guit is white, so you will want to build the finish till it is flat, with clear. Make sure to use a block to ensure flatness, then spray your white, you can get the tint from any glidden store. mix the tint with clear laquer and a bit of thinner to get the proper viscosity(must be very thin to spray from cup gun), while white is srill wet, spray a couple mist coats of clear. let it dry for 20 min or so then give it a good wet coat.Not too much or it will run, conciquently pulling the colour, and you will need to start over. let it cure for a day, then sand lightly and put a couple more heavy coats on. repeat every day for the next few, then let cure, wet sand , buff, voila! an easier way is to call The Hank to Hendrix Guitar co. in Peterborough, and get Wayne to give you a price, he does pro tour work at a reasonable price, good luck, cheers Davo
unfortunatly touchups are extremly difficult to pull off, they are almost always visible unless you have the original paint used, but there is almost always clear over top, so the clear yellows, more with age, then there's the blue factor, most whites have different amounts of blue in them, tough to match perfectly, but you can probly get it close, but being a perfectionest....?Depends on what you can live with.even if you decide to do it yourself, you should check out Hank to Hendrix, either website or phone 705-740-0965 hope i've been of some help, Davo

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
dude, you're a guitar builder! that is soo cool!

how much for a cf guitar? lol, what kind of guitars do you build?

on topic, how bad is the guitar you're trying to touch up? I have a couple dings in mine, infact I think I cried when I got my first one (had the guitar since I was like 8) but anyways, they never bothered me. I dont think you should touch it up.