Anyone AutoCADD users?

AaronsSupraMKIII

Supramania Contributor
Jul 27, 2007
Athens, AL
I could really use some help with AutoCADD. I have 2003 Full Edition. I am pretty well cluless on it. I need to find out how to set it up to make some construction prints to scale. I need to print to 11x17, and scaled to 1"=100'.
Can anyone help me? The actual drawing of it, I can forrest gump my way through....Thanks...:aigo:

A

ArthurRitus

I use Turbo CAD at work every day, i dont know if this sounds like it could be of help but go ahead and ask and ill see if i can help =\

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
autocad sucks.

you should just draw your prints to full scale, and then scale your 11x17 title block by 100:1

that way you can dimension your plans and it will show the proper number, not the scaled number.

there may be another way to do it, but again, autocad sucks. parametric modelling ftw.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
I've been using Solidworks, its pretty boring.

Should be able to just go into tools->options->dimensions and find what you need there shouldnt you?

AaronsSupraMKIII

Supramania Contributor
Jul 27, 2007
Athens, AL
Thanks for the info. The program is just so damn complex. It is enough to pull your hair out. All I have done is basically installed it and played around a bit. It is strange that you can scroll in and out with the zoom, I would rather it be a stationary size, and zoom into that. Like paintbrush. LOL It is just alot harder than I thought it would be. I will bring it to work with me tomorrow, and try and that way I can post the results, or questions and have it in front of me.

AaronsSupraMKIII

Supramania Contributor
Jul 27, 2007
Athens, AL
swaq said:
I haven't used it in forever so I can't help. Did they add an extra "D" to the name since I last used it?

Yeah they did. It now stands for Computer Aided Drafting for Dumbasses! Me of course being the Dumbass....LMAO

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
if you get good with it, you'll never have to touch the mouse...

kinda sad I probably couldn't do anything with it now... (haven't touched it in 8 years)

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
Enraged said:
autocad sucks.

you should just draw your prints to full scale, and then scale your 11x17 title block by 100:1

that way you can dimension your plans and it will show the proper number, not the scaled number.

there may be another way to do it, but again, autocad sucks. parametric modelling ftw.

That's one way to do it... If you don't know how to use autocad.

I prefer to put all the drawing elements (the actual information you're representing), into the modelspace tab, and do the actual layout (which will be the print), in paperspace. This is how autocad was intended to be used. Everything is drawn 1:1 full scale.

You'll find the navigation tabs to move between model space and paper space in the bottom left corner of the screen, above the command line interface (assuming the stock set-up). I can take some SS's if needed. I recommend doing all the drafting work in model space so that you have room to mess around.

Then, import your title block into paper space as either a block or xref, or plain lines if you're lazy and want to give yourself hassle later. Insert it so that it's 1"=1", 11x17 measured size. Crack open a viewport that's 1"=100', and set up a dimension style with the appropriet scale settings, and measure away. Your dimensions will scale automatically on the 1:1 drawing as though they are measuring 1"=100', if you set it up properly.

A bit of playing around should find most of the buttons needed to do this. This is the "right" way to do it (i.e. the long way), but you can mikey mouse it if you want though. PM me or post here if you have specific questions.

Autocad doesn't suck, it has it's place in the world of engineering design. It's not masterCAM, Solidworks, or Revit, or Autoplant, LDD or Plantspace, but it does many things that those programs do not. It's the jack-of-all-trades and is useful for what it's intended for. I can't even begin to imagine the hassle of doing a Process Flow Diagram in a parametric modeling engine. It's not useful for designing a 50 cent moulded plastic part for a toaster. It is useful for doing electrical or process diagrams for a 200 million dollar petroleum job. If used properly, nothing is more useful than autocad in what it does... just don't hate it for what it's not.

Last edited:

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
One last thing: you can put dimensions as scaled text in model space or as scaled dimensions in paper space. Both systems have their advantages and disadvantages. I prefer the advantages of text in paper space... as long as you're not moving viewports every 5 minutes, it is much less hassle. If you work with a design team that never makes up their minds, go with scaled text in model space.

All the text showing the same information on a drawing should be the same size, no matter what scale anything is. I don't know if your company has any cad standards, but you might want to find out. If they don't, and no one cares, and you're going to get stuck doing alot of Autocad work in the future, you might want to decide how you want to do it now, and do it the same for all your drawings.

AaronsSupraMKIII

Supramania Contributor
Jul 27, 2007
Athens, AL
Yeah they did send me their cad standards stuff. Honestly its really confusing to me though. LOL guess I need "AUTOCAD for dummies" That will probubly confuse me too. LMAO I wish you lived close, I would pay you for some lessons. :(

Keros said:
One last thing: you can put dimensions as scaled text in model space or as scaled dimensions in paper space. Both systems have their advantages and disadvantages. I prefer the advantages of text in paper space... as long as you're not moving viewports every 5 minutes, it is much less hassle. If you work with a design team that never makes up their minds, go with scaled text in model space.

All the text showing the same information on a drawing should be the same size, no matter what scale anything is. I don't know if your company has any cad standards, but you might want to find out. If they don't, and no one cares, and you're going to get stuck doing alot of Autocad work in the future, you might want to decide how you want to do it now, and do it the same for all your drawings.

yaitsme

Beach Bum
Mar 2, 2006
Cheatham County, TN
draw fullize in the "model" tab ...

jump to the "layout" tab - setup your 11x17 page in print settings (right click the tab)

create a viewport in the layout tab ...

assign that viewport a scale of 1:100 (using properties command)

... print

Pro-E ... hated it
Solidworks ... easiest I've seen
Autocad ... oldskool