Anybody know a where I can get a center support bearing?

WaKonabi217

I want Boost
May 18, 2009
Vancouver
My driveshaft wiggles around in that thing like crazy but no parts stores around here have any or can even find one. Help?

Im also wondering about the steering system in an 86.5 supra. A shop (which i'm trusting less and less) told me I needed a steering dampener and stabilizer. However, an auto parts store told me it was rack and pinion. The weird thing was that the rack and pinion had an extra bar that we guessed was the stabilizer they were talking about. So, my buddy (certified mechanic) and I put it on his rotary lift and checked it out and I need a new rack and pinion. My question is can I just use a regular rack an pinion without that extra stabilizer or even one from a 87 or 88 supra?

Valverde

May 10, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
I have that same problem. My answer is go buy at Toyota dealership. Cost a grip! Around $255 if you are able to find a center support driveshaft at junkyards believe it you will be having hard time finding one.

Fletch124

2jz swapped!
Jul 17, 2005
Reno, Nevada
Call your local Toyota dealer.

By the steering dampener if you mean the shock on the front of the rack. Thats not needed. Most peoples are blown up anyways. There just trying to some money out of you for ordering parts.

WaKonabi217

I want Boost
May 18, 2009
Vancouver
Valverde;1380936 said:
I have that same problem. My answer is go buy at Toyota dealership. Cost a grip! Around $255 if you are able to find a center support driveshaft at junkyards believe it you will be having hard time finding one.

255????? MY GOD :aigo:

Fixing my whole front end steering wont cost me that much! Any way I could have an auto parts store order it from a toyota dealer? I have a friend at the parts store who can get like 80-90% off parts and I'm wondering if it would apply...? lol

Fletch124;1380937 said:
Call your local Toyota dealer.

By the steering dampener if you mean the shock on the front of the rack. Thats not needed. Most peoples are blown up anyways. There just trying to some money out of you for ordering parts.

Ok, well will the rack from an different year supra fit?

WaKonabi217

I want Boost
May 18, 2009
Vancouver
Ha oh and I have another thing my friend and I found while we were fixing stuff. The part of the throttle cable that is held by 2 springs and isn't really supposed to move wiggles like crazy. Idk whats its called...my friend would but how do I replace/fix that. Its cutting my power output and just not safe if it gets stuck in accelerate or something.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Your friend isn't going to get 80% off on Toyota parts!!! 90% of the members here damn near do family functions with their local Toyota parts dep managers and don't get deals like that!

Considering you haven't taken the time to learn the proper names of said problem parts it's doubtful that we are going to take much time in helping you...the least you could do is take pics of said problem parts!

The center support bearing is currently a Toyota only part I believe which I was quoted $263 give or take with my prefered customer dis from my local yota dealer...there is an aftermarket bearing that will work but needs modification to bolt up to the chassis correctly...

Learn to use the online mkiii tsrm and help us help you!

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
You can get a replacement part at Autozone. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ca...n&navValue=11200063&itemId=63-0&parentId=12-0 I saw something about this on here a few days ago. Apparently it works, but you have to grind the flange or something, cause it doesn't fit quite right.

Edit: The link doesn't bring you right to the part, cause you won't have the browser cookie needed. Sorry. You will have to do the search, but it is available.

Last edited:

syty1

Jan 26, 2009
los gatos, ca
rayall01;1381125 said:
P.S. It's only 40.00 before shipping.

Autozone part # a2006...the bearing they're selling requires extensive modification ie, cutting and welding to make it work.

The exact correct part IS available from Powertrain for $113 + $8 +/- in shipping. The word was that AZ had fixed their error on this part, but I just returned one that was wrong.
Got the correct part in 2 days out of Gardena, CA.
HTH
David

WaKonabi217

I want Boost
May 18, 2009
Vancouver
gaboonviper85;1380969 said:
Your friend isn't going to get 80% off on Toyota parts!!! 90% of the members here damn near do family functions with their local Toyota parts dep managers and don't get deals like that!

Considering you haven't taken the time to learn the proper names of said problem parts it's doubtful that we are going to take much time in helping you...the least you could do is take pics of said problem parts!

The center support bearing is currently a Toyota only part I believe which I was quoted $263 give or take with my prefered customer dis from my local yota dealer...there is an aftermarket bearing that will work but needs modification to bolt up to the chassis correctly...

Learn to use the online mkiii tsrm and help us help you!

Dont know the names of the parts? If your speaking of the "steering dampener" then i called it that because I was told by a stupid auto shop it needed one, and was asking if it really did. Thanks for the hidden slap anyways.

Everyone else, my buddy would have no problem modifying anything that needs welding etc. but I would be interested in that part you said Powertrain had available. I'll have to check it out.

On another note, i'm now also looking for a throttle position sensor and throttle body for a non turbo. Driftmotion has em for the 7M-GTE but not the GE.

WaKonabi217

I want Boost
May 18, 2009
Vancouver
syty1;1382313 said:
Autozone part # a2006...the bearing they're selling requires extensive modification ie, cutting and welding to make it work.

The exact correct part IS available from Powertrain for $113 + $8 +/- in shipping. The word was that AZ had fixed their error on this part, but I just returned one that was wrong.
Got the correct part in 2 days out of Gardena, CA.
HTH
David

Wrong part # but I found it. What needs to be modified? And why would they list it as a good part if it had to be changed...seems pretty stupid...

syty1

Jan 26, 2009
los gatos, ca
I actually did read that write-up and holding the AZ bearing in hand I was sorely tempted to cut it up & modify it to work...looked at the bearing, looked at the sawzall & MIG....
Finally decided that since the original lasted 21 years that $50 difference & the time to modify/weld/paint the part it was the better part of valor to rely on the engineering that is proven. Plus it was mighty nice to have it bolt up perfectly (the 1st time) & do the whole job in an hour.
No ghetto engineering on my part, no hoping the welds are solid and I didn't cook the rubber, no worries for the _next_ 21 yrs.

WaKonabi217

I want Boost
May 18, 2009
Vancouver
Another question about a different problem. When its really hot out, (around 92 degrees and up) and the cars been sittin long enough to really get toasty, i'll go to start it and it'll start and then bog down to bout 800 RPMs, going lower and lower till it shuts off. I have to give it some gas and hold it at about 1500 for about 10 seconds for it to idle correctly.

Any ideas?