Any way to make the oil level easier to read from the dipstick? Tricks?

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Is it only me or does anyone else have a damn hard time accurately reading the oil level from the dip stcik? I have the wire type with a "pressed" or "melted" or whatever metal tab on the bottom with a sorta grid pattern on it.

Anyone have any tricks for making it easier to read the damn thing? Color, polish, outright replacement with some other type.

Was just checking it today and wondered if there was a better way?

max-89supra(t)

Dec 12, 2008
vancouver, wa
I have the same problem lol when i do an oil change (i use green castrol) i can barely see it at all on the dipstick, only after a 1k or so when the oil darkens I can see it, I have a dipstick laying around from a 88, (mines an 89) and if i remember correctly the bottom of that one is plastic not metal, gonna see if that helps.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Or if you're crazy you could just add the UV dye to every oil change. Black light will make the oil clow in that case lol

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Put enough oil in it. ;)

Just kidding man (well, sorta, gotta have enough anyway, I run about 1qt over 'full'), but in all seriousness, I had mine painted with some sort of flat engine paint. Looks kinda green/blue of some sort, it's a lot easier to read since doing that.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
mkiiichip;1596638 said:
Get a 92 dipstick, its the flat metal type. Much easier to read.

+1

p1596962_1.jpg

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
I took a 1/8th inch drill bit and drilled dimples into the face of the metal part. The dimples fill with oil when they contact oil. If it didnt contact oil, there will be no oil in the dimple.