Any opinions/knowlege of a Porche 944?

7MA61

7MA61
Aug 27, 2006
Sydney
Series 2 turbo is where its at, at a track day, a near stock 944 Series 2 turbo with catback, new wheels 255's up front and 285 up back (full street tyres) and a mechanical 2 way LSD was lapping faster then R34 GTR's with full slicks on.

Third fastest for the day behind a heavily modded series 3 RX7 on full slicks and a heavily work 300ZX on full slicks has 800rwhp lol.

They have close to 50/50 weight distribution stock because of the transaxle setup.

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
I looked heavily into a 944, preferably turbo, before I bought my Supra. I fell in love with the Turbo when I was in Germany in '88 and got a few rides on the Autobahn in one. They are freakishly fast for their reputation as a poor man's Porsche, I love the look, and handling is the best I've driven. (3 speed auto tranny is complete shit, though).

There was one major issue that kept me away, though. Look into the maintenance schedule, and you will see that it has an interference motor and a timing belt design that leads to breakage. The remedy is to do a timing belt and water pump change every 30,000 miles to the tune of $1,200 to $1,500 if you aren't willing or able to do it yourself. These parts are not cheap if you are willing to tackle it, but are a lot less expensive than a new motor. If the maintanence schedule doesn't scare you away it sounds like you'll have a great deal.

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
We have an 84 944 N/A 5-speed in the family.

I drove it for about 6 months on a daily basis.

VERY FUN TO DRIVE!!!! Handles great, corners awesome. Parts are pricey, but for an n/a 4 banger, it was pretty damned quick.

If I had the means and the space, I would think about buying one.

Mick91MkIII

Jul 21, 2006
Reno, NV
944s are not bad cars. Better than my old 924. They get a bad rap because of the 924 heritage (it was originally inked to be a VW car) and that is the reason it gets snobbed by 911 guys. Pass on the N/A unless it is a screaming deal. It would make for a nice daily driver. There is always the Renegade V8 swap. The 951 (944 Turbo) is the one to have, in my opinion. I have a coworker with 2 of them. I was looking for a nice 951 when I ended up with getting a deal on my white 91T.

L

lanky189

just realize that its a PORSCHE! parts are expensive, however the quality of the fit and finish and the engineering of the car are all German qaulity which is very high.

I'd so go for it. I've been drooling over the 944's since before I had my 87 turbo targa some 3 years ago

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
IIRC we weren't really under the Germans.. from like 13th cent. till 17th century they just owned the mansions and like owned estonian pleasants.
These Porsches are still the worst design IMO

L

lanky189

ValgeKotkas said:
Worse Porsche ever made? (+the ones that look almost the same)
(body style wise I mean ;))
I think you're reffering to the 928, the v8 porsche.

like in the movie Risky Business with everyone's favorite Oprah battling Scientologist Tom "I get to have sex with Katie Holmes and you don't!" Cruise

the bastid.

L

lanky189

Troyota said:
Isn't that the one Tony Montana buys in Scarface?!?
the 928 yes...when they came out they were this shizz..everybody wanted the only v8 porsche ever made.

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
I played with a few here, they aren't as fast and they are unreliable as thier reputation claims, lots of issues espeically electrical. You can try it, if you think supra parts are pricey be prepared for suprises with that porsche.

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
I have one.

Its an 1989 Turbo. In 1989 the Tubos got the S package so its not badged... But yes.

The 4's rule is BS. Its like any car(espically a supra for that matter) If it hasnt been maintained its a POS.

I can rebuild a 944's engine easily and cheaply. its a volkswagen block and parts for gods sake!

They are fast. They look awesome. and overall its a great car.

Older 80's Porsches have POS dashes. Your 87-88 will most likely be cracked. Porsche clubs usually have em made in fiberglass as a replacement.

PS. Any othr part (body wise) is expensive. Engine wise(mechanical) its cheap to get. most VW dealers have everything you need

lintlars

ROOTS RADICALS
Apr 1, 2005
Ft.St.John BC
www.cardomain.com
I almost bought an NA 944 I looked at it the day before I bought my Supra the Stock turbo Supra was faster than the NA 944 and much more rear leg room!!!! If you can believe that the rear seats in the 944 are a joke!

L

lanky189

who buys a porsche car even considers leg room in the process?

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
^ Agreed. But me being 6'8" I have no trouble in ours. The leg room in the rear seats is a little worse than in a MK3. They are called insurance seats..

Also... Never buy cheap Porsches. lol. Rule of thumb.