Any of you guys ever done a "Gumball" style rally?

fstlane88

Single time!!
Apr 5, 2005
South FL
I've been following these types of rallies since I watched the Teck guys do the Gumball 3k way back in the day, and have always wanted to participate in one with my car. The problem with the majority of them is the outrageous entry fees. I've been keeping tabs on the AKA rally and for the last run they did from Salt Lake City, UT to Atlantic City, NJ the entry fee was just over $3,000. That pays for all of you lodging, dinners, and parties, as well as all the events they have planned along the route. Seeing as you can split that between two people, it's only a $1500 entry.

The thing I'm most concerned with is taking the Supra on a 7 day 3000 mile trip that isn't going to be a Sunday drive by any means. But, that's what I want to do with the car, I want it be reliable enough to do something like that.

Just wondering if any of you guys out there have done anything like this, and what kind of feedback you have/can give. I've read a lot of stuff on the AKA forum, was looking to see if I could get anything from this community.

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
If I become rich I will enter the Gumball 3000 with my supra. I think it would be one hell of a time driving around to different places and party at night.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
They ran one here many years ago and the guys that won used a Holden 2 tonner (think dual axle pickup) they installed a bunch of Boat fuel bladders in the tray and drove non stop.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Nix: Think of a wine bag from the box wine.

It's just a big bag of fuel that collapses as the fuel is used and comes in all shapes and sizes.

Marine%20fuel%20pillow%20bladder%20for%20sport%20fishing%20boats%20and%20yachts.gif

fuel_bladder_6.jpg

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
are gumball rallies kinda like the cannonball run in the mid 70s? I remember reading about a van that had 4 55gal drums of gas in the back to make the drive nonstop.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Mate of mine partook in a rally recently - the ramshackle rally. You had to get a car for £100 with tax and test (easy), insure it and then drive it to poland and back. I got him a diesel Austin Montego estate - 2.0 litre perkins diesel - virtually indestructible :D

thesandymancan

a.k.a: mittens
Mar 7, 2006
boise, idaho
gumball these days isn't about winning or who gets there first. if you drive non stop, you miss the huge parties along the way.

i feel like an idiot for saying this but, watch mischief 3000.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
lol.. my buddys and I have always talked about setting up our own little rally.. fun around a few places in fl.. would be fun

I remember like a year ago someone was trying to set one up in Fl.. the black tie rally or something.. i was thinking about entering with a buddy, but then I took my car apart.. haha

few times back in the day we've done a few rallys back from orlando at like 3-4 in the monring.. was fun..