Any octane booster users here?

GotToyota?

Dedicated Member
Apr 6, 2005
Texas Motor Speedway
Well I used Octane Booster for the first time with my car today. I used Lucas Octane Booster (Not even street legal :naughty:). My first impressions after filling up with 93 is that the car has a bit more throttle response. I've also noticed that some little sounds that the motor made before disappeared, octane booster apparently also cleans the motor up a bit, I could definently tell, since it is the first time this motor has seen it (JDM motor). Any of you guys use the stuff? Tell me how if improved your stuff.

-Matt

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Maybe after 5>10 tank fulls...

People don't seem to understand HiOctane fuels don't burn hotter or provide more power, they actually hurt performance if used in a low comp motor or a motor that doesn't require them due to their slow burn.

Crank some timing in or raise the comp/boost and yep you get more power as a by product.

Afunk

Jul 12, 2005
IJ. said:
Maybe after 5>10 tank fulls...

People don't seem to understand HiOctane fuels don't burn hotter or provide more power, they actually hurt performance if used in a low comp motor or a motor that doesn't require them due to their slow burn.

Crank some timing in or raise the comp/boost and yep you get more power as a by product.

This is true. Also, with alot of those octane boosters, they trick you. When it says it raises octane 10 points their using some system where 1 point= .1 point octane. Look on the back for the fine print.

blackout_89t

King of the roll
Apr 25, 2005
Toronto
xylene, 50/50 mix with gas.

Mixed with 94 octane it gives you about 105 octane.

P.S. higher octane gas alone will not make your car run better. :)

blackout_89t

King of the roll
Apr 25, 2005
Toronto
aye mate said:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3651&highlight=toulene
Try this also.
And what IJ said is true that higher octane will hurt performance if not being used correctly. I have run both 94 and 87 in my car and felt no difference. So I stuck with 87 octane seeing as how I am on a stock turbo with no fuel mods aside from the 12v constant.

I would use 91 at the least....Read your manual I believe it says to not use 87....

jpeek29208

Boostin Daily
Apr 4, 2005
Enterprise, Al
yah the turbo owner manual says at least 91 octance.na owners imo(oh god flame suit on) should use 87, 89 at most. its just not necessary for that engine. unless you change some shit around(high compression,etc.etc.) i belive its a waste of money.

the reason you felt faster was probably just the placebo(sp) effect. you think it so much that it seems true. the mind is a very strong thing

i had a na for a year or so, ran 87 no problems.

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
blackout_89t said:
I would use 91 at the least....Read your manual I believe it says to not use 87....
Should also mention that its free. I live on a small farm and we get 87 delivered to our house and my dad just allows me to use out of that whenever I need gas. Think I will stick with the free 87 octane, been using it for almost 4 years and no fuel related problems yet.

Dziuggy

eurotrash
Mar 31, 2005
san francisco, ca
dziuggy.com
as most here already pointed out booster are complete junk. go to home depot buy toulene and add some you will get better results. now for people saying they will not put paint thiner in teir car do your reserch. (btw all octane booster contain toulene or xylene- read the label)

toulene is better choice than xylene as it has more lubrication and does not require adding of gear oil. there is lots of info about this online and here on sm and sf.

if you dont wanna play with fuels buy 100 octane gas. but as IJ pointed out you will not see any performane gains because of higher octane fuel on n/a. local ricers around here do that since 100 gas adds more power to their vtec.

Scruffboy

Dec 29, 2005
Kearny, New Jersey
I have heard that with older cars, these octane boosters and "fuel cleaners" can remove carbon deposits, which may not be the best thing because sometimes that is what is keeping the valves sealed. Knock it out and you can mess up an engine that was running well.

My 2 cents

Scruffboy

psifactor

Apr 1, 2005
Clearwater, FL
www.myspace.com
Running a xylene or toluene mixture will clean everything out just as well as any octane booster/fuel injector cleaner shit.

I used to do a 60% xylene 40% 94 octane and a 12oz bottle of MMO for the lubrication.

Octane boosters are junk.....and you guys using 87 octane in your turbo supras are only asking for detonation. I drive a bone stock 7m daily and would NEVER put 87 in there.

BoostFreak

Nov 11, 2005
Ohio
/\ agreed and the only time I have seen 100+ octain fuel be of any good was on my freinds sr20 240, he could only run about 23psi without going on the lean side, droped in 110 I belive it was and he could run 26psi.....the fuel didn't really help power just alowed him to run more boost

garagefujimoto

Local Tire Destroyer
May 27, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I have just applied for a part - time night job as an aircraft service jockey, basically fueling, loading and directing a few jets per night. I don't really care about the job, it's more the Aviation fuel that grabs my attention.

We dropped a couple gallons in my buddy's JZA70, it now peels from a roll in third gear on stock boost with 265 18's. Octane boost is a good idea, but condsidering that it is like $8, it is a rip off for like 8 oz. of gas. That same $8 will at least get you 2 gallons of race fuel, which in addition to increasing octane, also fills your tank, and allows you to drive, which is the original point of gas in the first place.