Another BVSV question.

DaemoN

Jul 1, 2005
Wichita, Kansas
www.TeamFE.net
I did search, but couldn't find this specific answer.
If you bypass the bvsv and just have the vacuum line run from the charcoal canister to the throttle bad, does this 'cause any issues? I know the BVSV opens at a certain operating temperature, so if the gas vapors are always entering the throttle body even when not at the intended temperature, will this cause any sort of issue/problem? My BVSV has been broken since I bought the car, and have had the line run straight from the charcoal canister to the throttlebody. I don't notice any issues from it, car runs and idles how it should. The only issue ever is sometimes on a cold start after not being drive for a day it'll idle like it is running a couple cylinders down but only for 5 seconds then perks up and idles fine.

Thanks in advance.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Im running mine the same way and I too havent noticed any ill effects. but I would be curious to know if any experts can shed some light on the topic as well.

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
My BVSV was set up this way by the previous owner, i didn't notice anything wrong...but fixed it anyway.

Eagles may soar, but WeezL's never get sucked into jet engines!
...nope, they just get splattered all over the highway! lol

DaemoN

Jul 1, 2005
Wichita, Kansas
www.TeamFE.net
koulee said:
I think you should look at this:

http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/ec/EC_06.html

If you bypass the bvsv completely, it looks like you are essentially siphoning the fuel vapors from the fuel tank and dumping it directly into the tb without any kind of control...
Yes this much I know, but I don't have the knowledge to know if this is harmful in any way? I can only see it making you run more rich?

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
yeah I already looked at what it does and how it works. the only thing I can figure is that during cold starts and operation it would run a little extra rich. Or, since were only talking about vapors, maybe that would cause it to run lean? Seems to me the stock 7M runs rich to begin with, so I doubt it would have any adverse long term effect

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
<<<< I removed my charcoal canister, its useless, looks lame, and adds weight something supras have enough of, so have several of my local friends none of us have had problems since removing that POS.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Wills7MGTE said:
<<<< I removed my charcoal canister, its useless, looks lame, and adds weight something supras have enough of, so have several of my local friends none of us have had problems since removing that POS.

so you just left the lines to vent to the atmosphere? or did you plug them off in some way?

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Wills7MGTE said:

um, it does serve a purpose.
however, it is clutter...
but weight? lol... weigh it.

why the animosity?

DaemoN

Jul 1, 2005
Wichita, Kansas
www.TeamFE.net
johnathan1 said:
So what purpose does the BVSV serve then? Is it just for emissions?
When the gas vapors go through the charcoal canister they remove the environment unfriendly stuff :biglaugh: . Then the remainder of the vapors are sent into the throttle body to be combusted with the rest of the process.

So in other words, yes it is just for emissions.

Silvasoup

May 12, 2005
Florida
johnathan1 said:

That is what I think it is used for. When mine broke beyond repair I bought another one off of Ebay for around $15. This time I reinforced the two tubes with heat resistant cement and small aluminum sleeves that I slipped over the stock tubes. This seems to work great provided you choose the correct cement and are careful to not block up the holes in the two small tubes. The tubes will still get brittle from age, but it helps a little bit imo.

To add to the strength of the tubes I place a bead of cement around the base of the tubes and the bvsb body.

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
johnathan1 said:
Yes. Gasoline vapors might smell nice to people that enjoy brain damage, but they are not healthy for you.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I haven't removed mine. ^

You know how you double click at the gas pump and fill that expansion resevoir? When you have an engine fire, you will why. It has happened.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Meh, I don't buy into it.
I ran open DP for close to, if not more than a year, with my CC line extended into the grommet in the frame rail.

Upon high-rpm downshifts, I would occasionally have a lingering flame under the car coming out of the DP. It would flame for about 2-5 seconds, unless I hit the gas and blew it out.

With the amount of fuel vapors emitted, and the amount of fire under the car, don't you think I'd be dead by now?

That said, I don't see it as a problem.
Perhaps I'll use another CC from something else.... Ian says non-usdm CC's are much smaller. So are the ones from 3rd gen Maximas.
The options are out there to find one that is easier to hide.

I think i'm putting a fuel cell in, anyway, so it's really a moot point with me....