another 1jz project

limitedgt4

Mar 31, 2012
Pawtucket, ri
hi all,

believe its my first post, been browsing the site much since i got my first supra.
not a mechanic or a body man just really into cars, specially toyotas.

so i finally decided 1jz is the way for me.
the 7m is still running but i wont wait for it to die before i swap it

a little about me, last year swapped a 3sgte into my 97 celica and loved it

for those who may ask, i dont plan on making insane power 300-350 should be enough
an really easy to obtain

so now time for the big leagues.
IMAG0820.jpg

after the swap i will be parting my old engine to regain some funds:naughty:

limitedgt4

Mar 31, 2012
Pawtucket, ri
IMAG0761.jpg
IMAG0764.jpg

So far ive lowered the car on some tokico blues and eibach springs
After swap will work on stance so ill probably swap to coilovers sometime next year

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
hvyman;1874576 said:
Welcome.

Start a build thread.

Agree.

limitedgt4;1876724 said:
just bought the 1jz i should receive it by friday

Good luck with your swap i'm also in the midle of my 1JZ swap it gets har on your wallet quick.

Here a link to my build thread = http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?163711-Furious-7M-owner-who-gave-Up.

And a helpful links for ya = http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...ur-1JZ-GTE-And-2JZ-GTE-Swap-Guide-For-Dummies

limitedgt4

Mar 31, 2012
Pawtucket, ri
Turbo Habanero;1877101 said:
Agree.

Good luck with your swap i'm also in the midle of my 1JZ swap it gets har on your wallet quick.

Here a link to my build thread = http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?163711-Furious-7M-owner-who-gave-Up.

And a helpful links for ya = http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...ur-1JZ-GTE-And-2JZ-GTE-Swap-Guide-For-Dummies

thanks, just glanced at your thread and i must say it is very busy, ill need to sit down some time and read it all
34 pages in a month and a half, thats alot of good stuff there

and the other post you suggested was part of my stickies.

i havent started the build thread because im waiting for things to arrive

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Welcome to the club!
Wondering... why did you go with 1jz? I thought 2jz was less problems/costly. Still kinda boggles me why people dis the 7M so bad.. I have it and no complaints at all...
7M isnt a perfect one like the 2J, but still worthy of recognition imo. (not ragging on you for choice, just wondering if there was a specific reason you went 1j)

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
I went 1J for the sound and I like the way the motor behaves. It's rev happy and strong like bull. IMO the 7M is a great motor I just went for change after my 4th 7Mgte build

limitedgt4

Mar 31, 2012
Pawtucket, ri
Grandavi;1878914 said:
Welcome to the club!
Wondering... why did you go with 1jz? I thought 2jz was less problems/costly. Still kinda boggles me why people dis the 7M so bad.. I have it and no complaints at all...
7M isnt a perfect one like the 2J, but still worthy of recognition imo. (not ragging on you for choice, just wondering if there was a specific reason you went 1j)

lol, its not that i dont like the 7m, i just dont like dropin insane money on a regular basis and then realize i should have saved up for something better.
in other words, my 7m currently has over 167K and im not sure how much longer it would last. a rebuild is insanely expensive (IMO) and a jdm 7m is just about
the same as a 1jz in price and the jdm 7m is still in questionable condition, so to save money time and lots of aggravation ill quit the 7m while im ahead.

the 2jz is just slightly out of my comfort zone money wise. being usually a grand more just to get it and then a few more to get it working right (gotta ditch the twins and go single because everyone seems to think they suck and lag to much) from what i can tel and I CAN BE COMPLETELY WRONG, a 2jz swap will run about 4 grand on average and ill be able to do my 1jz for under 2800

the fact that i got a 1jz with the extended harness to plug n play in my car and that already had some parts refreshed and that is ready to drop into my car for the price mentioned before, made me choose a 1jz over any other ill eventually go 2jz or 1.5jz

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
limitedgt4;1878868 said:
thanks, just glanced at your thread and i must say it is very busy, ill need to sit down some time and read it all
34 pages in a month and a half, thats alot of good stuff there

Yes sir lol. I don't like to have my car down a long time if i can help it.

As for the twins they spool quite fast

The 4 main reason's i got rid of them and what i think most people do it for also

1. They are Power limited to around 350 MAX

2. They are 20+ years old and tend to break easy (Reliability)

3. Going single is less parts to deal with and in the end you whined up with a much cleaner engine bay that is a lot easier to work on

4. I believe if done right with a single you can eliminate a lot of engine bay heat thus making everything else last longer