Adding second alternator

exander

Anything but Lurker
May 23, 2006
colorado
Does anyone know how to go about adding an auxilary alternator to run my stereo off of? Are there any certain kits that you must buy or anything and have any of you done this before?

Last edited:

exander

Anything but Lurker
May 23, 2006
colorado
JustAnotherVictim said:
Why don't you get a capacitor if you're worried about draining your battery.
The system is much too powerful for a simple fix like that. I need an additional alt and battery.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005

tubbie

Yes, powerful Jedi....
Apr 4, 2005
Hoschton, GA
or you can just get one of the alternator to a/c location relocator bracket used on the FFIM setup and put the extra alternator there.

born2drv

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Burbank, CA
how many watts or subs you planning to run?

I've upgraded my alternator to the oversized MR2 100amp alternator (from Autozone with lifetime warranty!). I also added a capacitor in the back as well as relocated the battery and redid all the power and ground in 0-gauge.
Pics here:
http://www.born2drv.com/gallery/engine (bottom of page)

Honestly that will be more then enough to run 2-3000WRMS and 4-6 hungry subs. 160+amp alterantors are really only for super high wattage systems, like the kind where you pack in 32 subs in a cube van. Plus they're crazy expensive.

exander

Anything but Lurker
May 23, 2006
colorado
born2drv said:
how many watts or subs you planning to run?

I've upgraded my alternator to the oversized MR2 100amp alternator (from Autozone with lifetime warranty!). I also added a capacitor in the back as well as relocated the battery and redid all the power and ground in 0-gauge.
Pics here:
http://www.born2drv.com/gallery/engine (bottom of page)

Honestly that will be more then enough to run 2-3000WRMS and 4-6 hungry subs. 160+amp alterantors are really only for super high wattage systems, like the kind where you pack in 32 subs in a cube van. Plus they're crazy expensive.
I am going to run an 18" solo x and 2 12" solo x's so that is a lot of power

Fuzz420

Are U Here 2 take My Baby
get a high amp alt 180 or better and get a real battery and im not talkin about an optima. Something like a kinetik(http://www.kinetikaudio.com/default.asp). I run a 1400 under the hood it fits snug, and if you need more i suggest a 1800 or better for the hatch. My friend had 8 of the 2400 monsters in his truck, very serious battery for the serious competitor or some body that craves the max out of there street system

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
now,is that 100 amp alternator produce that at a certain engine speed,or at idle?
i,ve heard that at idle,it only produces half of what it's rated at i thimk...

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Just get an Ambulance alternator from any parts store. IIRC they're like 150+amp and you can't tell me that you'll be pulling more than an Ambulance at full operation...

born2drv

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Burbank, CA
its probably 100amps at like 3000rpms or something... i suppose i could check it if i really wanted :)

i honestly think 1x18 +2x12 subs would be fine with a 100amp alternator with a cap, that's just my opinion though.... besides if it blows i get another one free... for life ;)

ps - i bought a "Stinger 160amp" alternator off an ebay seller 5 yrs ago, and it was just a polished housing with a stinger sticker on it and some GM alternator internals that only put out like 65amps... i've also had a professional shop beef up my stock supra alternator to 120amps and it cost me $300 or so and it burned out after a year of use (90 day warranty, car audio voids warranty anyways) so just be careful. That's why I figured this autozone one was such a good deal, plus it fits perfectly, it's just about the biggest size alternator that will fit in the stock location.

leemk3

Aug 28, 2005
listen to fuzz420, ...up the alternator output....no reliable car runs 2 alternators, thats silly, i run 2 1000w subs in place of back seat, with an upgraded alt. and a big capacitor...no prob..... seek advice from upscale audio install shop, stay away from mainstream shops with 18-22 yr old kids without a clue -f__kin with your precious car.... get someone who has had real training on aftermarket car audio- these professionals do exist, And knoledge is power- and i think thats what you are after.

antman

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
TN
why are u putting hundreds of extra pounds into a sports car? besides you don't add alternators...you add batteries.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
exander said:
I am going to run an 18" solo x and 2 12" solo x's so that is a lot of power

no that is not. Those are speakers. What we need is the amp make and model to give you an accurate figure. Saying I have X speakers really does not mean anything.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
antman said:
why are u putting hundreds of extra pounds into a sports car? besides you don't add alternators...you add batteries.

google Richard Clarke tp see what he used to win the IASCA worlds three times in a row and then pop back in here ;)

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
leemk3 said:
up the alternator output....no reliable car runs 2 alternators, thats silly

That's why I said to call Kevin @ AAP. He's a true professional, not some kid working for Best Buy.

antman

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
TN
figgie said:
google Richard Clarke tp see what he used to win the IASCA worlds three times in a row and then pop back in here ;)

are we talking about the former National Security Council official who has launched a broadside against President Bush's counterterrorism policies?... NO and this guy isn't talking about winning any world champions ships either.;) ;)

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
antman said:
are we talking about the former National Security Council official who has launched a broadside against President Bush's counterterrorism policies?... NO and this guy isn't talking about winning any world champions ships either.;) ;)

I seen countless porsche, lambo, ferrari that they have "added" tons of equipment to for audio bliss. It is called priority my man ;) Not everyone is HP gung ho.