89 Supra 7M-GE EGR Temp Sensor/Connector?

JoeyD

Feb 5, 2007
Oceanside, CA
I recently had a low-mileage 7M-GE JDM motor installed into my 89 (non-turbo) Supra. Evidentially, i need a new EGR Temp Sensor/Connector as the one currently in my car is a JPN one that does not meet up to US-CA smog requirements. The "check engine" light now comes on whenever i startup the car to. Was wondering, how much would this device cost and is it hard(time-consuming) to do?

Also, i've been noticing lately that my brakes are acting weird.. like when i come upto a stop light/sign & press on the brakes they work.. but if i'm holding down on the break for more then a few seconds it'll start to slip back & i'll have to press harder onto the break... does this mean that i just need to bleed the brakes(and if so, is there a site that describes the procedure) or is it more severe?

Finally, when i've been driving for awhile i'll eventually notice some weird rattling sound coming from underneath the car(especially when i'm idling)... but if i'm just doing a quick drive then i don't hear it.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Why can't you install the EGR equipment that came on your car when you bought it?

I have no idea what you mean by the brakes slip back. The pedal is hard, soft, pulsates, or what?

JoeyD

Feb 5, 2007
Oceanside, CA
Nick M said:
Why can't you install the EGR equipment that came on your car when you bought it?

Well, that's the thing.. the person who did the engine swap for me 'supposedly' does not have the old engine anymore(some mechanic shop named "Automan" here in Oceanside) & on top of that i ended up having some things go wrong with the car afterwards that were fine before the engine swap(think they sabotaged my car). Have disputed the charges for the swap with my bank & will proceed with legal action if Automan tries anything.

Nick M said:
I have no idea what you mean by the brakes slip back. The pedal is hard, soft, pulsates, or what?

Well, i will have my foot on the brake pedal & then all of a sudden it will feel like it's starting to give out & i will have to press down harder to keep the brake on.

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
For the brakes it sounds like you may have air in the fluid.

I was always tought that when filling that you do not want to have a break in te fluid because that traps air so ya I would bleed the brakes and then add fluid to fill but keep a steady stream pouring so it won't happen again.

As for the swap I have no idea. Sorry and good luck.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Does the JDM engine even have the rest of the EGR hardware? It sure didn't come with it.

JoeyD

Feb 5, 2007
Oceanside, CA
935motorsports said:
The EGR temp sensor connector is probably disconnected. Sounds like you need some diagnosis. It's a long drive from oceanside, but I am available.

out of curiosity, about how much would i be looking at for a diagnosis and if it is just disconnected, what's the charge the re-connect it?

well when i was going to do a jdm swap the guy i talked to said that the jdm engines would have to be changed over to our emissions. He said the Japanese emissions are different and will send a check engine light...he told me to take my engine out and put everything from my old engine on the new one(emissions, intake, header, alt, etc.) so i dunno if this is any good info...

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
How about a couple current pics of the intake manifold? I'm not convinced the EGR system is even present.

JoeyD

Feb 5, 2007
Oceanside, CA
i will try and take some pics this weekend. my camera kind of sucks and by the time i get off of work it's already dark. according to the diagram under the hood, it should be located right behind the engine?

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Even the type of Y pipe will tell you alot. If it's not the North American version (the type with the 4 bolts and small plate on top) there's no routing for the EGR present. There are a few things which MUST be inplace and not blocked off for the EGR to function.