89 octane???

futeki_supra

Nov 18, 2006
lincoln, NE
so I normaly only run BP 92 octane, but I felt like being a cheap ass today and put in 15$ worth of 89 octane, I notice under boost/higher rpm the car is kinda sluggish, like it doesnt realy bog out or anything, but it I can deff. tell the difference from 92,
I also just started hearing what I think might be a boost leak,
under boost just started hearing a strong sound of like air flow

I might have a boost leak, but I was wondering if it could be the gas,

I am still hitting a steady 6.5 psi in all gears though
car has a fipk,3"dp,3"exhaust

thanks for the help

AlexSmith

Argue this!
Feb 16, 2007
DFW Texas
Shouldn't you be pulling more boost with a full3" back? Anywho, I think you should run at least premium in your car... especially since it is turbo.

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
I ran 93 for the first 2 years I had the Supra. Then started running 89 when gas hit $3/gallon.

Since switching down to 89 I haven't noticed any change, although I'll be going back to 93 when I start modding(poor college student blah blah blah).

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
87 for 20 years. Has always run perfect. Iirc that's what the early model manuals say to use and so I do. I have far better things to spend money on than resistance to detonation the engine doesn't require and that's all octane does. On the rare occasion I've run higher I've never felt a difference and I'm not surprised.

It should run fine on 89. It's common knowledge putting a higher octane than what the manufacturer requires in a healthy *stock* engine in an attempt to increase performance is pretty much a waste of money. I thought everyone knew that. Am I missing something here?

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
jetjock said:
87 for 20 years. Has always run perfect. Iirc that's what the early model manuals say to use and so I do. I have far better things to spend money on than resistance to detonation the engine doesn't require and that's all octane does. On the rare occasion I've run higher I've never felt a difference and I'm not surprised.

It should run fine on 89. It's common knowledge putting a higher octane than what the manufacturer requires in a healthy *stock* engine in an attempt to increase performance is pretty much a waste of money. I thought everyone knew that. Am I missing something here?

At only 6.5psi that the original poster says he's running, I suppose you are right.

My car hasn't run lower than 12psi for a long time so I wouldn't even bother trying to mess with anything lower than the 91 that's available to me. Especially knowing that boost creeps up higher on a cold night.

futeki_supra

Nov 18, 2006
lincoln, NE
well I am pretty sure I have a boost leak,
it seems to have gotten worse now,
I re-tightened ALL my hose clamps, replaced 2 of them,
and it is still leaking from somewhere....

I know that my accordian pipe is cracked pretty bad right by the turbo inlet, could this be why it is running like shit?

futeki_supra

Nov 18, 2006
lincoln, NE
so after reading alot

I am pretty sure it is the big rip in my accordian hose causing this,
but I still think it might be a boost leak,
b/c I had the accordian pipe off awhile ago, and i saw the rip, put it back on, and never had any problems until now, but maybe the rip has gotten worse.

and like I said before when ever I acelorate I can hear the turbo spool Realy loud (louder than normal) but the car doesnt really go anywhere,
and when I let off I can hear the bpv really loud , I think air is getting out somewhere else. i think it might be a really bad boost leak

ChadMKIII

Yup, Thats The G/F
Jul 14, 2006
Bay Area, Ca
[Was] hitting around 10ish PSI.

I know it is most likely not doing much for me to get the 91 (highest octane around here), but I refuse to use anything but Chevron 91.

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Ugh Chevron 91 is 3.09/gal now in Fremont.. I'm putting Chevron 89 In mine because: #1 I'm stock, #2 In 1989 The manuals started saying 89 was minimum. My engine's a 1989, but if it was an 88 or an 87 I'd be putting in 87. Btw, Chad, I've seen you twice in Fremont already. Once on Grimmer and the other time on Thornton. Both times I tried chasing you down but the lights in Fremont are spawn of the devil.