88 Turbo Needs a Diet

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
I got my 88 7M-GTE a few months ago, and though I love it to death, I really need to put it on a diet. I'm planning on swapping the seats (8-way heavy driver's) for racing seats, and loosing the spare and back seat. I thought about pulling the carpet out, ditching the sound insulation, then putting the carpet back, but I don't know how much of an effect that will have on cabin noise and weight. Anybody have any recommendations?

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
Seats are a good idea. But I think you need to go on a diet.

The sound dedening and insulation weighs like what? 8-10 pounds? Yellow 13 should chime in. They best way to make a Supra loose weight is to mak the driver lose weight.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Loose things that don't work or you don't need
(i.e. a/c, cruise control, washer fluid tank, etc)

MK3Brent

Very expensive....
Aug 1, 2005
Greensboro and Greenville NC
Fiberglass hood, fenders, remove the spoiler (depending on what kind of racing you're planning on doing.)

Light-weight wheels, drive-line components, windshield and side glass... I'd leave the rear alone personally.
After being in a MKIII with the hatch, doors, and hood off... the back end doesn't get any traction. :rofl:

there's lots of things like mentioned already, and there are hundreds of threads about this too.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
HellsLegion said:
The sound dedening and insulation weighs like what? 8-10 pounds? .

:umno:

haha, have been wanting to use that one.

its a lot more than 8-10lbs. its more along the lines of 45lbs. and im talking about that tar crap welded to the floor. not that foam stuff.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
IJ. said:
Or buy a Mk2...... ;)

blasphemy! :nono:

(last weighed my car at 3,010lbs with a full tank of gas, bunch of tools in the back and two 10" speakers in a box, my car has a leather interior and sunroof too....so gonna guess she'd be around 2,900 without all that junk and no driver)

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
HellsLegion said:
Oh the tar crap? Yeah thats heavy. I thought you were talking about the foam which does weigh next to nothing.

yasir! and actually i think if you take it off the firewall and all that its around 60lbs.

i dont think i would go that far on a street car. and im one to usually make compromises more than others. id just take it out from under the back seat and swap the front seats, get a Slime spair kit or small spare, and leave the rest as is.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
Keep in mind that removing 100 lbs of weight is like gaining only 6 horsepower (from what I've heard). Personally I have removed the spare tire and swapped in lighter seats, but you're better off keeping the car's comforts and modding it for more HP for a more enjoyable, well-rounded package IMHO!

boost PSSH boost

SM's Welding Guru
Apr 4, 2005
Marshall, WI
every 100lbs lost is approximately .1 off your 1/4 mile ET

As a man who has had a supra with all the extra brackets removed, 1 seat, no sound deadening, no PS, no AC, etc...get rid of shit in the front you don't need, strip the back, and relocate the battery to the back. You want to lose weight, and transfer more to the back for traction.

boost PSSH boost

SM's Welding Guru
Apr 4, 2005
Marshall, WI
It's more useful for corner-weighting the car. take it way down, then bring it back up the the minimum weight, but with the weight where it needs it.

EDIT: also, as for the original post...cabin noise is noticeably increased with the removal of the sound deadening. My HKS exhaust drowned out the stock radio at idle.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
IJ. said:
Tanya: My point exactly a loaded Mk2 is around the same weight as a stripped Mk3!

Doing this to a mk3 is like putting ballet slippers on a hippo!

well even the mk2 is a little pudgy for its power (160hp for 3,000lbs? meh)

Doesn't help that even the tiny 2.8/3.0 inline 6s are heavy engines, comparable to most V8s... I've heard quotes anywhere from 400-600lbs, compare to a 351C that weighs 550lbs LOL
http://www.team.net/sol/tech/engine.html

A lot of weight too is in the ass I think, the huge glass in the hatch. It would be great if someone made a FG hatch with Lexan, probably wouldn't be very street legal but hey, easy swap on trackday

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
it really totally depends on what you want to do. realize that gutting/stripping a car makes it NO FUN to drive.....yeah sure the "all race" look is cool for the first few weeks, but then as you're cruising on the highway the rattling and droning will slowly destroy your soul....

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
Well put! Keep your comforts and add a set of cams or something to go a bit faster. Don't forget about the comfort of your passengers too! (Chicks)

drjonez said:
it really totally depends on what you want to do. realize that gutting/stripping a car makes it NO FUN to drive.....yeah sure the "all race" look is cool for the first few weeks, but then as you're cruising on the highway the rattling and droning will slowly destroy your soul....

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
drjonez said:

see i guess i am an exception. i grew up around muscle cars and drag racing. my dad had a 69 chevelle he raced about every weekend. i like the loud and fast sensory overload. atleast to some point. i dont want it so incredibly loud it makes my brain itch, but i def dont mind some noise.
i prefer the in your face, hair on fire feel vs say something that had the luxury of an escalade that had 600rw.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
For me that's the beauty of a Mk3 I CAN have it all Comfort Speed Handling Looks, stripping the car trying to make it a race car is such an exercise in futility as even stripped to the bone it's still a BIG FAT BARGE! ;)