88 Supra turbo engine problems

dhkelly

Apr 12, 2007
BC
Alright... so recently my supra hasn't been running as well as it should. My turbo feels unresponsive and it feels like its losing power when I accelerate. For example I will hit 4,000 rpm and when the turbo spools it will drop down almost 1000rpm and then raise again. My first gear also feels very slow. It seems like it's struggling to gain speed and losing power when accelerating... sounds like its hesitating and cuts out for a second. I have no idea what is going on with it and this has just started about 2 days ago... I had an inspection done about 1 1/2 months ago and going in for an oil change tomorrow. Any suggestions what the problem could be?

dhkelly

Apr 12, 2007
BC
no engine light comes on, but my coolant light does. I've cleaned and refilled my reservoir... the radiator coolant is clean aswell.

dhkelly

Apr 12, 2007
BC
How do I tell if its boost leak, or fuel cut?... I'm also running stock everything except for a K&N fipk... so boost is also at stock levels.

Last edited:

88tsupra

Mar 21, 2007
long beach
mm dats weird i cant answer your lost in power but as for the coolant leak check all your hose..mines is leaking too my aunt saw a puddle in my parking spot but im sure mines is leaking from the tube connecting to the manifold and throttle body..check that one dat one leaked out so much for me dat i just go a clamp from home depot

dhkelly

Apr 12, 2007
BC
well took it to the shop and apparently its my clutch, does that sound right? And if so what is a recommended clutch to get thats available in canada? I might be doing some upgrading in the winter since I will be storing the car... thinking about getting the rebuilt turbo, and maybe some others... so I would like a clutch that is good for now... and good for later

dhkelly

Apr 12, 2007
BC
Well its definitely the clutch... the car had problems even reaching 20km/h, would barely move off the start.