88 Supra Purchase

normandouglas

Oct 1, 2007
East Bay, CA
So I'm a new member here, and my only previous post was asking for tips on problems to look out for when purchasing these cars. Well, I decided to let a pro take a look, so I had a full inspection done down at a local Toyota Pro shop. The results are:

A/C not cooling - I knew this going into it
Engine overheats, cannot determine exact cause - Suspect bad thermostat and fan clutch - Cannot condemn head gasket at this time. - It actually overheated on the freeway on the way over to the shop.
Brake vibration at freeway speed
Valve cover gasket leaking
Transmission is covered in oil. May be leaking, or it is oil from engine
P/S Rack boot is broken
P/S Rack is seeping
Belts are cracking
Ball joints are worn

So, that's the report word for word. Which of these problems are easily tackled by someone with limited mechanical knowledge and a copy of the TSRM?
Also, how much off of the asking price should i ask?

Any help would be appreciated.

Fletch124

2jz swapped!
Jul 17, 2005
Reno, Nevada
Overheat- BHG, fan clutch, thermostat, radiator cap. Search for BHG.

Brake Vibration - Drive shaft is loose, bad center carrier bearing, wheels out of balance. You should only be able to push the driveshaft about an 1" radially at the carrier bearing.

Ball joints - replace them!

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
NA or Turbo? If the asking price is too much, dont get it. Wait and get another one that is atleast in decent condition.

normandouglas

Oct 1, 2007
East Bay, CA
Fletch: The shop tech actually owns a '90 turbo, and ran the smog sniffer on the radiator and rad. resivor, and told me a BHG was unlikely

Akito: It's a N/A Auto. No targa. The interior and body are tops. Asking price is 2k usd, which isn't bad, all things considered.