88 supra build 400 horsepower build on stock internals

Jordon Burt

so im starting my first build. i just bought myself a 88 supra with 155 thousand original kilometers on the motor. its need body work and a paint job. im gunna post everything im gunna do in this thread. starting with the clutch.

im going for 400 rwhp so im gunna do mostly external upgrades except for some gaskets, head. main seal, what ever is leaking :p plus arp head studs

so im gunna do a full 3" exhaust from the turbo.
ets (extreme turbo systems) intercooler kit
upgraded ct26 turbo 50 trim ( from suprastore.com) :naughty:
greddy boost controller
apex air intake
greddy blow off valve
rc engineering fuel injectors (550cc?)
walbro fuel pump
lexus afm
turbo header maybe..
what else may i need?

as for body i already fixed a few dents just need to bondo sand and paint.. im thinking just a dark grey maybe even primer grey
carbon fiber hood for weight reduction (suprastore)
carbon fiber headlight covers (from c7carbon)
front lip for looks (from shine)
carbon fiber spoiler for looks also lighter than aluminum
gunna keep stock sideskirts and bumbers
megan racing ez street coilovers
dunno for rims yet

interior....
gunna strip front behind front seats back to bare metal for weight reduction.
may rip out full carpet otherwise cutting from behind front seats back (i know its not much but its still weight)
sparco seats
momo stearing wheel
hydrolic clutch
carbon fiber arm rest

clutch
going with a atc hdss clutch

and thats about it for now. im expecting build to be complete by January so be patient. :icon_bigg its gunna be a pretty dope drift car. i hope theres enough power . next check on the first im ordering the clutch.

heres the carIMG_1907.JPG

motor IMG_1901.JPGIMG_1904.JPG

primed up mirrors IMG_1912.JPGIMG_1913.JPG

working on removing the tranny.. IMG_1930.JPGIMG_1931.JPGIMG_1936.JPGIMG_1938.JPG

tranny ready to drop for new clutch, just waiting for it to get here :D IMG_1935.JPG

Last edited:

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
Well hello there fellow British Columbia. I got some really good news for you if you didn't already know. There is a supra parts guy (my buddy says he is a supra god) named Dom in your city. I am in the middle of the same type of build and just finished pulling my motor and transmission right out of the car.

Dont forget a good standalone engine management system. If you do that then you can eliminate the AFM and flow more air from a larger intake pipe. I might even know someone who can make an intake manifold to do a front facing manifold for a 7m but it would require a bracket to put the alternator elsewhere. it looks damn sexy

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Is this the kit that you were talking about for your intercooler?

http://www.extremeturbosystems.com/86-92-Supra-Intercoolers-and-Intercooler-Kits/

and this Turbo?

http://www.suprastore.com/ct26turup.html

I might actually have the AFM that your looking for. The 550cc injectors are the right size for what your looking to make and rcengineering is a great choice from what I have heard. I haven't heard much about that intercooler kit but damn thats expensive. I look forward to hearing what others have to say about it.

I plan on going with a driftmotion turbo manifold kit and a turbo to match once my little turbo car sells. Darn plymouth laser is pissing me off daily.
What type of seats do you have in your car right now? Specifically the rear seat lol. Leather? Cloth? Color?

Jordon Burt

ttsupra2503;1886235 said:
Well hello there fellow British Columbia. I got some really good news for you if you didn't already know. There is a supra parts guy (my buddy says he is a supra god) named Dom in your city. I am in the middle of the same type of build and just finished pulling my motor and transmission right out of the car.

Dont forget a good standalone engine management system. If you do that then you can eliminate the AFM and flow more air from a larger intake pipe. I might even know someone who can make an intake manifold to do a front facing manifold for a 7m but it would require a bracket to put the alternator elsewhere. it looks damn sexy

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Is this the kit that you were talking about for your intercooler?

http://www.extremeturbosystems.com/86-92-Supra-Intercoolers-and-Intercooler-Kits/

and this Turbo?

http://www.suprastore.com/ct26turup.html

I might actually have the AFM that your looking for. The 550cc injectors are the right size for what your looking to make and rcengineering is a great choice from what I have heard. I haven't heard much about that intercooler kit but damn thats expensive. I look forward to hearing what others have to say about it.

I plan on going with a driftmotion turbo manifold kit and a turbo to match once my little turbo car sells. Darn plymouth laser is pissing me off daily.
What type of seats do you have in your car right now? Specifically the rear seat lol. Leather? Cloth? Color?

omg... that motor is sexy with that intake. can u look up more about it maybe ? im very interested.. and a i could fiqure out the alternator situation. and u maybe wanna sell that aft. my dad actually lives in kelowna. winfeild to be exact. im thinking about going driftmotion turbo system now too.. amd i have grey leather seats in the back why? :D

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
I need a grey leather bottom bench. the guy I bought it off of had a couple big dogs and they pooched the bottom with their untrimmed claws. Mine is horrible and I go to chilliwack for fishing till mid november. I will sell the AFM once I get my aem controller wired in. I wont need it to run the car anymore.

I am trying to find a place that sells the intake but I cant find much more then basics on ebay. I haven't had the best chance to look but I will try and find more on it. I really want one as well so as I said before, if they are too expensive I might just have to make one using stacks. Would be much nicer if it was already built. The brackets to move the alternator down are simple from looking at mine.

I like the guys at the supra store and they have some of the stuff I need. I just like the kit that driftmotion has. If suprastore made a kit of comparable value with a turbo option then I would be really interested.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
If you want 400 and want an upgrade CT, get a 57 or 60-1 trim. Or go to Albert on here and get a billet 58trim (light as a 57trim wheel but flows as much as a 60-1 IIRC). ETS intercooler kit is overkill for your power goals.

Your other option is to go on Ebay and get a CT26--> T3 adapter and run a medium frame T3 turbo with an external wastegate.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
hey ttsupra, when you find out who sells that long runner FFIM, please post up the information. that looks awesome, I'd buy one if it's a reasonable price

Jordon Burt

Moy;1886530 said:
If you want 400 and want an upgrade CT, get a 57 or 60-1 trim. Or go to Albert on here and get a billet 58trim (light as a 57trim wheel but flows as much as a 60-1 IIRC). ETS intercooler kit is overkill for your power goals.

Your other option is to go on Ebay and get a CT26--> T3 adapter and run a medium frame T3 turbo with an external wastegate.
yeah im going with the drift motion kit..

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
So I found one to start with but I am sure there are other FFIM out there now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7MGTE-intak...Parts_Accessories&hash=item27b1dca83b&vxp=mtr

That one requires a larger throttle body on it. I will probably end up making one unless I fall on a really good job for one day a week while I am going to school lol

There is another company that makes one but they are 1200 and it doesn't look as nice and they dont talk about stacks in it either. It looks like the battery might have to be moved for some of the units and a different intercooler will be needed for sure. Hope this helps some.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
If your getting a 3" exhaust.. I just walked that walk...
As long as your not looking for cheapo china ebay stuff... contact George at Raptor Racing (approved vendor here). I just got a downpipe from him (integrated elbow, divorced wastegate tube reintegrated). Top quality part. Would have done the full exhaust through him had I known he still did this.
Unfortunately, Randy (BIC) doesnt do exhaust for the 7M anymore. (at least.. fairly certain he doesnt)

Jordon Burt

:evil2:

7MGTE 57 Trim Turbo Kit-.58 AR-Anodized Blue-Blue Coupler7M-GTE 57 Trim T4 Turbo Kit (.58 AR, Anodized Blue, Blue Coupler)$1,625.00 $1,625.00
JE piston set 83.5mm 7m-gteJE piston set 83.5mm 7m-gte$820.00 $820.00
Eagle CRS5984T3DEagle rod set for 7M-GTE$485.00 $485.00
TMS-MK3-HG-20Titan 7M-GTE Head Gasket 2.0MM$179.00 $179.00
ARP 203-4202ARP Head Stud Kit 7M$119.95 $119.95
ARP 203-5402ARP Main Stud Kit 7M$109.00 $109.00
Water Pump 7MWater Pump for 7M$55.00 $55.00
Walbro 255 Pump 84-92 SupraWalbro Fuel Pump For 84-92 Supra$93.00 $93.00
Driftmotion 7M Upgrade Oil PumpDriftmotion 7M-GTE Upgraded Oil Pump$335.00 $335.00
7M 3pc Pulley KitDriftmotion 7M 3pc 6061-T6 Pulley Kit$59.99 $59.99
Oil drain flange 7MOil Drain Flange for 7M Engines$28.00 $28.00
NGK Ignition Wire Set for 7M-GTENGK Ignition Wire Set for 7M-GTE$64.00 $64.00
Apexi 507-T001Apexi Power Intake 86-92 Supra 7M-GTE$115.00 $115.00
HKS 4501-RA002HKS Fuel Cut Defencer for 1JZ/2JZ$148.00 $148.00
7MGTE Intercooler Kit-Blue Coupler7MGTE intercooler kit for MK3 Supra (86-92) (Blue Coupler)$395.00 $395.00
BC0321BC Stage 2 Cams for 7M-GTE$685.00 $685.00

$5,315.94

from one store.. oooh this is gunna cost a bit. and thats not including the rad i want, the electric fans, the clutch, the exaust( well most of it ) , suspension upgrades, body work, after is done im expecting around 8g's :aigo:

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
you forgot the BCSprings from driftmotion 329.99 and the 57 trim turbo kit has a 4 inch k&n. not sure if its gonna be much of an upgrade to move past the huge filter they have with the kit.

Jordon Burt

well... i screwed up. found out the motor needs more work than i though. im just gunna pull the motor next week, just gotta wait for my cheque so i can buy the hoist and engine stand. might aswell since i need to replace the turbo and head gasket it will be alot easier and plus while its out i can get the motor fully redone. im gunna put the rods and pistons in aswell while its out. wont be driving for a couple months since i only make around 2500-3000 a month. (im only 18 and an apprentice steel stud framer which only pays me 13$/hour) im gunna put around 5g's into the motor so i know its good. i was planning on fixing the car up with maybe like 3000g total and selling the car but now im gunna keep it.

Jordon Burt

and im painting it mineral grey this cheque, and next after that (nov.15) im buying the turbo and a couple other misc. parts. and december 1st im buying more engine parts. dec.15th clutch and other engine misc parts. gunna be fun. expected finish date. january maybe feb with a couple other parts.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Many people have sunk a lot of money into these cars (myself included).

Don't spend a penny if your thinking of selling for a profit. Your not going to get your money out of the car. I have seen well over 25,000 in a car selling for 8000.
If your going to do the work thats all fine. However, your going to need to prepare yourself for possible bad news situations. (ex. head warped/cracked, crank shot, exhaust manifold shot, etc...) It happens.

My car is over 30k invested and I am still not where I want to be (mind you.. I have not done any work myself for the mechanics and bodywork, and I am fussy, so it cost a lot more).

What I laugh at is that us die-hard Supra fans will put over 4500.00 into tires when we can buy a Supra for the same amount. It doesnt make logical sense.. hehe

Also, a 2.0 metal headgasket means your going to have to lap the block and shave the head. This has to be done perfectly or you are going to have problems later on. I dont know anyone that can do that himself, so it normally means a GOOD machine shop that understands the engine. Earlier, I priced having my engine rebuilt to handle 600+ HP reliably and it was a tad bit over 10,000.00 (again.. someone else building for me)

Now... that doesnt include brakes, suspension, bodywork, paint, interior, glass, exhaust, turbo, fuel system, engine management, intercooler. The way I am building my car I am guesstimating that I will have roughly 45,000.00 into the car when its done. More if I try to perfect it for car shows. Worth it to me, because it isnt my daily driver, I love the car and I have no intentions of ever selling it. I can buy a new car for that quite easily and be happy, but it just wont be a MK3...

Last edited: