88 7m-gte into 90 7m-ge

RonPence

Aug 28, 2007
NewBoston, Oh
does anyone know what kind of issues i'm going to run into doing this swap? wiring ect.i have the whole gte car its been hit in the quarter pretty hard and my 90 is really nice it just has no power!

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
Hi and welcome to SM. There are many threads dealing with GE to GTE swap. Take a little time and search the site and all your questions will be answered. I just did the swap myself and other than some labor intense moments, it's pretty easy. Good luck.

800rwhpmkiii

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
West Side
yea learn how to search n00b! anyways, pre-89 body harnesses are different than 89+ body harnesses. you will need to pin out the harnesses

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
If you have both cars it will be alot easier as you will have all you need. Just pull the entire motor and wire harness form one and transfer it to the other. swap ecus, cluster, and dash harness. IIRC motor mounts, ecu pin out, harness, dash cluster, are all different from 87-88 and 89-92; then you also have all the differences between turbo and N\A such as ecu, wire harness, sensors, transmission, differential, exhaust, ect.... It will definatly requre some serious time and work but will be well worth it in the end. Basicaly look through as many NA-T builds as you can to see all the finer points of what you need. Good luck!