87 NA/AT Won't start, starter just clicks :: Searched

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
I just put the motor back into my friends 87 NA/AT Supra and when we go to start it whaddaya know, CLICK nothing. I checked all the grounds because I know I used to have that same problem. So, I went and got a new starter, CLICK same problem. Also, how do you guys manage to get the top bolt of the starter in? There has got to be an easy way... What tools do you use? Anyone got any ideas other than grounds? The battery is good, the terminals are good, they are off of MY supra. Anyone? Thanks in advance, and also please let me know if you need any other information, I'll be right here standing by.

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
How are the connections on the starter? Going to it? And coming back?

Did you replace motor and solinoid with brand new or remanufactured or what?

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
The connector going to the start - not from the battery was broken so I just put it in there, Imma try and clip a connector off of an old motor and scotch lock it on there and then give it a shot, thanks for the idea, also the starter is completely remanufactured

89Joe

POTATOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jul 22, 2005
Missouri
Ok, this isnt bad, I just delt with the same issue, so dont freak. First check your ignition switch. I believe if you can hear a clicking from inside your car, coming from the passenger side, you should be good, which means your ignition switch is fine, if not replace it and we can go from there. Another thing to look into is the an inhibitor switch on the tranny; now, I dont know much about it but that was my problem regardless though, look into your ignition switch and check this link out.

If your car is an AUTOMATIC there is an inhibitor switch in series with the starter to stop you trying to crank the car when not in PARK. That switch or the wiring to it may be faulty.

It has everything you need to know in regards to the issue I had, but pay no attention to the relay mod.

http://www.forum.mkiiisupra.net/showthread.php?t=14972

reply back with any findings.

-Joe

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Two clicks, Ignition and Starter. Turns out someone (me) put the torque converter on wrong. The Engine and Tranny have binded against eachother. *Sigh* Gotta drop the tranny and hope that the oil pump isint toast.

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
with some pressur on the pump like that it wont kill it unless you drive..

or run the engine..

when you get the tranny out, make sure that it sets back three set's of splins it should slide on. or like three drops...

you might be able to unbolt the torque converter and sping the motor over and push on the tq with a tool, and try to push it in aswhile.

i have found a decent length of extentions help's get the top bolts, their's a couple places to slide it up to the bolts a few work, but there are a couple sweet spots, so try a couple different ways, i found having swivles help.

also if you remove the brake master and set it off to the side it helps alot when reaching those top bolts,

egr is a pain if you have it, but still possible to hold the top nut while some one underneither get's it out using the 3/8 drive.

if you have an air ratchet, here's where to use it lol

TakeakiTheDeity

The Deity
Oct 28, 2006
San Jose
www.myspace.com
well, if you turn the car to "on" and lights show up.. but you cant start it.. it might just be your batteries are low... even though you may see lights and think it's ok... but it just needs to be jumped. or you have just drained your batteries little by little by placing it on the floor in which may have cause your battery to have died out a little.. but if otherwise.. i souldn't be anything else than that or your starters, wires and all that... good luck