86.5 n/a problems

86.5 n/a

May 24, 2006
north carolina
Well guys im a noobie but thats beside the point. The point is i just bought this supra and i have already changed out the clutch and i had to rewire the knock sensor. Well the problem is that when i ease on the throttle and get it to about 3 grand it drops to about 1 grand then goes back up from there. I dont know much about these sensors and the egr but i know they have took off the charcoal canicter and the bvsv but would that cause it to run that way?

86.5 n/a

May 24, 2006
north carolina
The guy i bought it from says he just replaced plugs and it has a set of msd wires on it i think it has something to do with the vacuum lines or something becuase some are just plugged up now. The timing was set at like 4 degrees whewn it was supposed to be at 10 i fixed that and it quite smoking but it keeps doin the gas pedal thing

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
I had similar idle issues and found that the TPS was mounted wrong. If you read the TSRM page it explains how to check the TPS and all you need is a ohm meter and two shims, 0.4mm and >0.5mm. Pain to get the shim in place. But at least this can be done without the engine on.

86.5 n/a

May 24, 2006
north carolina
ok so i go crank my supra up and its doin the same old thing, well i unplug the TPS and it didnt do it anymore. So i was wondering if i could just leave it unplugged. Would this hurt anything?

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
Hurt anything? Not mechanically to my knowledge. However, the Throttle Position Sensor does a whole lot! Think of it as a translator from your foot to the engine computer. It's directly connected to the throttle linkage and is the only way your engine's ECU knows how much pedal you're giving it. Basically, it helps with fuel economy and engine performance. Disable it, and you're likely to get engine codes, and the ECU will go into some sort of failsafe. It'll run but performance, and I suspect, fuel economy will suffer.

If unplugging it fixed the 3grand to 1grand RPM bug, adjusting/replacing it would be a very good idea.

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
everyone here knows what the tsrm is. As long as you have one and take a chill pill or smoke a doobie all will be well...., I learned a long time ago, that if I know I am going to be doing something major to this car to alot more time than I think I should atleast by one day.
1. you fix em
2. you test the fix
3. you refix the fix and hope to get home.
4. you fix it.
this seems to be par for the course.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
You don't own a manual? Noob or not, why would you buy a car with a sophisticated EFI system and attempt to work on it without the manual?

If unplugging the TPS solves the problem your TPS is bad. The IDL contact is staying closed when the throttle is opened. This will tell the ECU to go into rpm cut mode.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
supramacist said:
1. you fix em
2. you test the fix
3. you refix the fix and hope to get home.
4. you fix it.
this seems to be par for the course.

haha, isnt that the truth! i have been at stage 3 for a while now, troubleshooting all sorts of things... reassembly should take place tonight though...

brad