7mgte tune up

7mgteNewb

Jan 7, 2010
Salt Lake City
Whats up guys. I just barely bought my dream mk III. The previous owner had rebuilt the ct26, and the head with new gaskets, oversized valves, etc. Its blowing white smoke and He mentioned it hasn't been tuned with the new build on it and could be running too rich. the motor knocks at higher rpms. I am new to this motor so I am just looking for tuning suggestions and tips to help me get this motor running like a champ. Thanks again.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
white smoke is not a tuning issue. your either burning coolant or oil.

how are your valve stem seals? do you leak any coolant?

Anthres

Jan 7, 2010
Texas
7mgteNewb;1486822 said:
Whats up guys. I just barely bought my dream mk III. The previous owner had rebuilt the ct26, and the head with new gaskets, oversized valves, etc. Its blowing white smoke and He mentioned it hasn't been tuned with the new build on it and could be running too rich. the motor knocks at higher rpms. I am new to this motor so I am just looking for tuning suggestions and tips to help me get this motor running like a champ. Thanks again.

White smoke is a symptom of moisture in the cylinder, typically due to coolant as mentioned. Unless it is a blueish smoke which is oil. You can do a leak down test on each cylinder with air. Open your radiator cap and see if you can see bubbles. If you do, it's a head gasket issue. Running too rich would typically cause you to push black smoke out the tail pipe. And a Knocking a higher RPM's could be from the timing too advanced or not enough fuel to cool the cylinder.

Does the motor knock only at higher RPM's?

Last edited:

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
def a vid of the knock noise. about what rpm is it? high rpm is vague. What kind of knock is it? rod, valves, igntion knock? I would personally find out what and where its coming from first along with checking for bhg or bad turbo. If you got a bhg and repair that and still have a knock, than you got more work ahead of ya. best to get it all done in one shot.

7mgteNewb

Jan 7, 2010
Salt Lake City
Im going to take her into the shop later this week, but I started her up today and she idels fine but after about ten minutes the white smoke starts up. When I rev up to 4000 and beyond my engine light turns on.....?

ben1984j

Jan 18, 2009
Ft. Collins, CO
The engine light could be a separate issue entirely...as people have said white smoke = coolant; also, there are no engine codes that are related to knocking except for code 52 (bad knock sensor), but I'm not sure if that would cause an audible knock in your case. You should still check your codes though, that will give you some more info...