7mgte starts but stops immediately

7mgt45r

7mgt45r
Sep 23, 2007
ATLANTA, GEORGIA
could someone help me? My 7mgte has starting problems. Just had the motor rebuilt and trying to start it. It starts but after running 25 to 30 mins. it gives me code 14. I chked ignition system everything seems okay. But when remove pluggs they are black like they are not firing. Car will not start, but when chg plugs again the car runs for 20 or 30 mins.again and stops again.Same thing over

Mr. Y

Mar 31, 2005
80 miles away from Kremlin
Your wiring is too old. Time to replace it or repair. Some broken wires (inside insulation) can cause a lot of problems.

Rewire ignition harness and your problems will go away.

7mgt45r

7mgt45r
Sep 23, 2007
ATLANTA, GEORGIA
Dunckel said:
Good luck with your 14. That one is a pain in the ass. The code 14 is saying your ecu isn't getting the IGF signal 8 (or is it 3?) times in succession. Here is a link detailing the workings of the ignitor/coil system. Read it.
Did you check the ignition/coil system per the TSRM?

Edit: Duh, I forgot the link......http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39298

i chked cam position sensor and it read 264ohms. the manual said it suppose to read 140-180ohms. Do you think thats the problem.I'm confussed because when i chg plugs runs alright for 25-30mins.

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
To be honest with you, I don't have a clue about electrical stuff. JJ is the resident electrical expert. I just did a quick search for you and found one of JJ's posts on the code 14 issue.
Have you checked the ignitor, and the coilpacks? Does the car start again after it dies? When I had the issue, it would die, and then be really hard to start. I would crank it over and over and over. After a few minutes it would eventually start again.

7mgt45r

7mgt45r
Sep 23, 2007
ATLANTA, GEORGIA
Dunckel said:
To be honest with you, I don't have a clue about electrical stuff. JJ is the resident electrical expert. I just did a quick search for you and found one of JJ's posts on the code 14 issue.
Have you checked the ignitor, and the coilpacks? Does the car start again after it dies? When I had the issue, it would die, and then be really hard to start. I would crank it over and over and over. After a few minutes it would eventually start again.

No it will not start again until i replace the plugs

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Sounds like a fuel or timing issue to me. Where your injectors cleaned or rebuilt? What is your timing set at? Adjustable fuel pressure regulator, or stock?

As far as the code 14(ignitor and coil circuit, ignitor and coil, ecu), I think I recall seeing something about a ground inside the ignitor being a culprit for this. Apparently, it works off of one of the case screws, but tends to get corroded? A little foggy on this, as it was a while ago. Make sure all attaching screws for both the coils and ignitor are in place securely.

Mr. Y

Mar 31, 2005
80 miles away from Kremlin
7mgt45r, Don't you see my post?
You have bad wiring/connectors. Period.
When you change plugs, you move wires so contact appears... When engine gets hot - things expand and contact disappear again.

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
Mr. Y said:
When you change plugs, you move wires so contact appears... When engine gets hot - things expand and contact disappear again.

I agree that this is very probably the problem. But it could also be several other things...for one, it doesn't explain his running super rich and fouling plugs...that seems to be a seperate issue.

7mgt45r

7mgt45r
Sep 23, 2007
ATLANTA, GEORGIA
Mr. Y said:

i understand, but when i chk wiring connectors i get the proper readings.