7MGE Rebuild

BoostLess7mge

JDM owns me...
Aug 29, 2005
Chicago
I'm starting a rebuild on my 7m motor and i was wondering if anyone knows where i can get factory rings as well as Asian brand water and oil pump for cheaper than going to the dealer.

Also, I will be purchasing a ball hone and i've seen them in 120, 180, 240, 320, and 400 grit. What grid would be best to use with factory rings?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

-Steve

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Oil Pump: Dealer. Order the pump for the turbo model. Better pump. If you search a bit, you can find where IJ says to shim it 5mm. I think there may be a good explanation as to how.
Water Pump: Local Auto parts. If you maintain the cooling system, you won't have to change it again.
As far as rings and honing, I always send block work to the machine shop. They can make sure the cylinder bores are still round, not egg shaped or ovaled. They can also check the crank journals, rod journals, etc., and repair anything that needs attention. Too many things that can be wrong with the bottom end that aren't noticeable to visual inspection.

Good luck :)

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Depends on what all you replace. Anywhere from a few hundred dollars for the basics to an all out, balls to the wall build totaling 10k

86yota

Feb 17, 2008
upper darby ,PA
dude if u want a good rebuild kit i would buy the same one i did i got it off ebay from a company named Mizumo-Auto-Parts . i didn't have any problems with anything from them. it was under $400 shipped to pa...Good luck

kit came with

pistons
rings
bearing
water pump
oil pump
and full gasket kit

i also baught a $20 hone and did it myself and resurfaced the block and head by myself it all depends on how many tools and how much you really wanted to rebuild it i had in my mind the whole rebuild that i did not want to send anything out and i learned that i didn't have to with the right experience behind me.

castrol supra

Semper Fidelis
May 8, 2008
The Back 9.
Sorry guys.
But I have to ask.
Why the asian oil pump over a toyota oem gte pump?

That seems like you may be rolling the dice with something you may wish you hadn't ?

Oem stuff most of the time IS aisin. At least mine had it on there. You can check my rebuild in my sig and i spent about 1700$ for a complete rebuild. So it can vary. Just get an Oem oil pump for an N/A...it's not going to make THAT much of a difference...

This is what i used in mine:]

Nippon Rings
CRP Timing belt
Greddy metal head gasket(Requires machining of the head and block for proper seal)
Arp head bolts(85 ft/lbs in the torque sequence)
Aisin Water Pump
Toga High Volume Oil pump(HorsePowerFreaks.com)
Koyo Stock Radiator
TopLine Gasket Set(250$ ish, EXCELLENT KIT)

Lemme know if you need any info.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
castrol supra;1017129 said:
Sorry guys.
But I have to ask.

That seems like you may be rolling the dice with something you may wish you hadn't ?
Have to agree with this the GTE oil pump part, doesn't cost that much more if any and better flow, that's something you want to improve on.

BoostLess7mge

JDM owns me...
Aug 29, 2005
Chicago
DegreE: i did call Toyota actually, they want 106$ for the water pump and $240 for the oil pump, seems a little high to me, thats why I was asking for alternative places that carry the OEM brand, Asian.

BlackDynamite: thanks for the good info!

I have most of the parts I need for the build, i'm still waiting for some feedback on what kind of hone to get...

castrol supra

Semper Fidelis
May 8, 2008
The Back 9.
DegreE;1016022 said:
Have you even called the dealer for prices? I hate when people automatically assume the dealer is way more expensive.

When I got to the replacing the starter portion of my build.
The dealership was less expensive by $15.00 than all of the standard chain parts houses. My 1st stop after the dealer is O'riellys'.

But I always try to replace any thing within reason with toyota oem.
I'm just goofy like that.

Black Dynamite: I will look into all of that. That you have mentioned. Thanks.

BoostLess7mge;1017447 said:
DegreE: i did call Toyota actually, they want 106$ for the water pump and $240 for the oil pump, seems a little high to me, thats why I was asking for alternative places that carry the OEM brand, Asian.

I have most of the parts I need for the build, i'm still waiting for some feedback on what kind of hone to get...

Get a machine shop to do it while you're there getting the block machined. But if not, use a Flex Cylinder Hone. You can get them at carquest.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
castrol supra;1017129 said:
Sorry guys.
But I have to ask.

because aisin was the original equipment MFG.....we buy aisin stuff cause its actually toyota stuff without toyota name on it....your getting original equipment for half the price lol....thats why.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
BoostLess7mge;1017447 said:

there are alot of vendors on this website that have awesome prices on oil pumps n water pumps.....a2motorsports has great prices....driftmotion has good prices....search around and bargin hunt...