7M-GTE fixer upper

KyoSohma07

Feb 27, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
I wouldn't call this a complete rebuild, but I've just bought myself a '88 Supra Turbo Targa for $1500, very cheap but its been sitting for a year so it needs some work so it can be my everyday car, but I am going to add/replace some things to better things, I don't know completely what all those "things" are going to be but here are some pictures of how the car came to get started.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

p939690_1.jpg

p939690_2.jpg

p939690_3.jpg

==Interior Pictures==

p939690_4.jpg

p939690_5.jpg

p939690_6.jpg

p939690_7.jpg

== Feb. 1 update==

I have my first replacement body part! My driver side door handle that I will replace whenever I get a few minutes time. My old handle worked, its just cracked and nasty.

p939690_8.jpg

p939690_9.jpg

Last edited:

MaverickA70

desperate parts beggar
Sep 17, 2007
arkansas
looks pretty straight man.
i bought an 87 with only a "few things missing" and so far ive spent over a 1000 and its still not on the road

KyoSohma07

Feb 27, 2008
It runs, and not to bad either, I had the upper radiator hose bust on me, but it did it as I was pulling into Auto Zone, it has great timing. I will put up some interior pictures in a day or two.

And to Supra28: I live in a suburb of Cincinnati

Last edited:

KyoSohma07

Feb 27, 2008
So I hit a bit of a problem today, it was finally warm out so I took off the top and got to drive around without it on, and loved it. I got home and I was going to wash it, so I put the top back on and my passenger window wouldn't go up. So now I'm trying to figure this out, I know the fuse isn't busted so I'm kinda confused at the moment but I should figure it out soon

KyoSohma07

Feb 27, 2008
so I had a little problem yesterday, I got home from work and figured out that my spark plugs were going bad, so I opened her up and found oil in with the spark plugs. Thanks for searching supra mania I figured everything I have to do to fix, plus while I'm in there I'm going to retorque the head.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

I didn't finish it yet, because I didn't have a couple allen wrenches, but I know what sizes I need so I should be done with the work tomorrow

Last edited:

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
KyoSohma07;959131 said:
so I had a little problem yesterday, I got home from work and figured out that my spark plugs were going bad, so I opened her up and found oil in the with the spark plugs. Thanks for searching supra mania I figured everything I have to do to fix, plus while I'm in there I'm going to retorque the head.

That's what I looove to read!!!

KyoSohma07

Feb 27, 2008
YES! my supra runs again! the valve cover gaskets have now been replaced, so no more oil leak! I have new spark plugs, and finally I have a retorqued head! it's running great. I also got my cousin hooked on supra's now also because I gave him a ride in mine. I will post a picture or 2 tomorrow, it's to dark now.

KyoSohma07

Feb 27, 2008
So I've done a little more work to the car now, I replaced all the cooling hoses, plus some of the leaking oil hoses.

p987179_1.jpg

It runs a lot better now, runs cooler, and oil pressure seems better.

My next step with the car is to get a new exhaust system, mainly because I don't have a muffler at all, but I want my car to sound really good, and fairly loud. I've searched around a little bit but I seem to be having trouble finding anything good.

I also have one more project to work on, my turbo runs great, but the wastegate is stuck open:confused: I'm not to sure on how to get it unstuck yet, if anyone has any tips to get it working without having to buy a new one that would be awesome, I've tried searching the site but I can't find much. I might have to make a thread if I can't find anything in the coming days.

p987179_2.jpg

KyoSohma07

Feb 27, 2008
johnathan1;987236 said:
Why do you think your wastegate is stuck open? If they fail (not very often) they usually get stuck in the closed position...Happens all the time to Porsche 924 Turbos, and causes them to blow the head gasket usually.

I had a diesel mechanic that lives across the street from me look at it and the rod that comes out of the wastegate doesn't move at all, and its in the open position, but we unbolted the wastegate and it could move perfectly fine. We are going to try to shoot some water or something where the valve is and see if it knocks it loose.

ForcedTorque;987368 said:
Are you sure your blow off Valve isn't just dead. Take it off and see if you can blow through it. You should not be able to.

I'll try that to, and see if it's ok

KyoSohma07

Feb 27, 2008
well, I haven't updated in a while because I haven't had the time nor money for more work, but soon lots of work will be happening. I'm soon going to be jumping head first into a complete rebuild (after I get another car). What caused this is the fact that I can't drive it anymore. My A340 transmission is going out completely.

So here are some starting plans for the car. I'm going to do a complete rebuild for the first time, swap the A340 for a R154. I'm also debating on a new turbo with a 57" trim, plus even more work. I don't know what I'm getting myself into yet, I've never done a engine rebuild before in my life, but my dad is going to be helping me out when he has a chance, and he's always willing to answer questions for me, plus I live across the street from a mechanic, and I always have supramania and tsrm for help so I'm not alone.

I will start a new build thread when I start.