7M GE Body with 7mGTE Engine, will the GE ECU Work?

I apologize if this is a repost. I searched but didn't find my answer after 3 pages of posts. I have a customer who has a 87 Supra with the 7mGTE in it. It originally was a 7mGE and he did the swap, but the guy who sold him the car told him that it was totally fine to leave all the stock electronics alone and keep the GE ECU. He has been driving it and it has been working ok, but he is starting to want to upgrade and get more power out of it and go beyond the 6lbs of boost. I would have never suggested this and i think he does need to swap in the GTE ECU, but i wanted to get some more ideas. Please advise. I am very nervous that the GE computer will not be able to understand higher boost and will lean out and blow the engine. Thanks!
Here is a pic of the cars engine bay.

As you can see he is even using the GE spark plug wires. Anyone else do this with good results?

Last edited:

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
It works at low boost levels. The GE computer wont have the fuel and timing interpolations for a turbo however. As you have already guessed elevated boost levels will just compound the problem. Better to get him a proper GTE ECM or a standalone.

Kckazdude;1030389 said:
It works at low boost levels. The GE computer wont have the fuel and timing interpolations for a turbo however. As you have already guessed elevated boost levels will just compound the problem. Better to get him a proper GTE ECM or a standalone.
Perfect! Thank you, exactly what i thought. Now does he need to rewire everything or will the GE wiring work? Does the GTE ECU plug right in, or is it more complicated?

StevO9389

one wheel peeler
Nov 13, 2007
Clearwater
there is a FAQ i just read that covers the na/t conversions from several different angles. should help you out a bit more.

StevO9389;1030402 said:
there is a FAQ i just read that covers the na/t conversions from several different angles. should help you out a bit more.
Yeah, i read it over, but i couldn't understand if people had used the stock wiring. All of the faq say to use the GTE wiring, like the GE doesn't work, but it obviously does because my customer has been driving it for years now. I was just wondering if the GTE ECU will plug in, or does he have to get the whole wiring hardness and do the over the right way?

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
<cough> MAFT Pro </cough> If you're looking for quick and easy and not planning on adding a fuel controller swapping in the GTE ECU's easiest. If you're going to be adding a fuel controller, go with the ECU of your choice and add a MAFT Pro. OR go standalone.

No, the GTE ECU will require swapping some of the engine bay electronics (CPS, coil packs and igniter) and will require a GTE engine harness.

CRE;1030467 said:
<cough> MAFT Pro </cough> If you're looking for quick and easy and not planning on adding a fuel controller swapping in the GTE ECU's easiest. If you're going to be adding a fuel controller, go with the ECU of your choice and add a MAFT Pro. OR go standalone.

No, the GTE ECU will require swapping some of the engine bay electronics (CPS, coil packs and igniter) and will require a GTE engine harness.
Thank you for the great info. It is exactly what I was thinking and looking for. I will let my customer know. Thanks again!