500 dollar supra__Pics__with questions

wildfire0310

May 16, 2007
Dacula, GA
I figured I should finally introduction myself.

History of the car:

I got the car from my roommate who treated the car like sh*t, she got the car from my buddy who replaced the clutch and then find a deal on a rx7 t2 so he sold the car.

From what I know my buddy got the car, it had been sitting in someones yard for some time.

its an 87 Targa

The good:
its a turbo model, and I am a fan of the Targa also oh and the 500 dollar price tag.

the bad:
It been beating like a red head step child. The clutch hub is shot and the water pump is leaking. That I believe the turbo may or may not be shot. That and needs some body work.

p812068_1.jpg

p812068_2.jpg

p812068_3.jpg

I been around turbo cars for awhile. My first project car was 95 TSI AWD which was a blast but I went through HG worst then the 7m.

Right now my baby is a 91 Miata which I have a T3-57trim turbo for the miata, after the supra is up and running.

I am not sure what my plans are the for the Supra, whether I will keep it or fix and sell it. One think I know is that one less turbo supra will be trashed in Atl.

BTW I got a few new questions, figured I would just post hit here. I the turbo started making a whine, which I figured was the death wine, but the shaft play isn't that bad, more side to side then I like, but no front to back. Well when I was pull at the turbo, I noticed that the front upper bolt from the turbo to manifold is missing, that would explain the turbo building only 4-5ish psi, but could that be the cause of the whine???

Also the stock head bolts, are the Allen bolts. I know my Talon's stock head bolts weren't. The reason is when I was working on the car I notice that the head bolts have Allen tops, and I wondering if maybe someone in the past did Metal Head gasket.

Thanks

wildfire0310

May 16, 2007
Dacula, GA
it is in the trunk, the car is in pieces right now.

nice notice, you would be scared of the inside cause I have half my tools, spread all across the front seats.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Looks pretty rough, but what would you expect from a $500 Turbo RWD sportscar?

The headbolts sound like the stock head bolts.

Yes, the missing bolts are probably the cause of your boost not being more than 4lbs, and also could be the cause of your whine. Stock boost is only 6-7 pounds in a 5-speed, and lower with an automatic. This is no Talon, so don't worry too much about the bolts too much. You might want to re-torque them though. It's a 10MM allen if memory serves me.

Oh....and I know a guy in your area that has a just rebuilt motor with upgraded internals (not sure exactly what). He wants like $1500 for that motor though.

wildfire0310

May 16, 2007
Dacula, GA
ForcedTorque said:
Looks pretty rough, but what would you expect from a $500 Turbo RWD sportscar?

The headbolts sound like the stock head bolts.

Yes, the missing bolts are probably the cause of your boost not being more than 4lbs, and also could be the cause of your whine. Stock boost is only 6-7 pounds in a 5-speed, and lower with an automatic. This is no Talon, so don't worry too much about the bolts too much. You might want to re-torque them though. It's a 10MM allen if memory serves me.

Oh....and I know a guy in your area that has a just rebuilt motor with upgraded internals (not sure exactly what). He wants like $1500 for that motor though.

I would take up that offer but I am not sure if I am going to keep the car, as I may trade it for an R6 after it is up in running.

I think I am going to pull the Valve covers back off and re-torque the stock bolts then. Thanks

Yea the supra is in rough shape but hey for 500 its not bad, the frame is straight, the front nose piece part isn't but all the suspension parts are inline so I am happy with it.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
If you get it running, and drive it.............you will fall in love. They are a money pit though, but definitely worth it. You seem to be somewhat mechanically inclined, so you are a good candidate for the car. It looks pretty good for a $500 car, so long you can get it running with very little work. Sounds like it ran OK before, so some minor tweaking and tightening should have it running pretty good. Take good care of it, and don't beat the hell out of it anymore than it has been already, and it should do OK for you.

wildfire0310

May 16, 2007
Dacula, GA
ForcedTorque said:
If you get it running, and drive it.............you will fall in love. They are a money pit though, but definitely worth it. You seem to be somewhat mechanically inclined, so you are a good candidate for the car. It looks pretty good for a $500 car, so long you can get it running with very little work. Sounds like it ran OK before, so some minor tweaking and tightening should have it running pretty good. Take good care of it, and don't beat the hell out of it anymore than it has been already, and it should do OK for you.

Yea I tend to fall in love with cars, but if I let it go it will be for a R6. As far as been mechanically inclined my Talon forced me to become that way, lol. I rebuilt the motor from the ground up, until I ran out of money.

I'll have to find photos,
95 TSI AWD,

3" exhaust, S-Afc2, 255fuel pump, 20G, hardpipes, 1" drop springs, etc.

everyone claimed about 300 to the crank....give or take.

The good news for the supra, the dealership will have the new hub Tuesday, so the car should be back up and running again. Need to fix the code 11 and some other shitty wiring spots I seen.