$50 paint job write up

themadhatter

Jul 5, 2006
Vegas
I think i would just buy a 20 dollar primmer gun off ebay and spray it but thats me i'm a whole lot more comfortable with a paintgun. next pics you take of your car can you make sure that there is no water on the car so i can get a better look at the paint?

supradan22

NA->TER
May 20, 2005
ORLANDO FL
I really haven't had time to polish im happy with the way the car came out after polishing the fender. But you guys can check out how Tearless did his paint job Im gona end up painting the car the right way with a pearl later on.

supradan22

NA->TER
May 20, 2005
ORLANDO FL
Well got arround to polishing and all and im just not happy with the paint but hey it was a 50 dollar paintjob it could have been my prep work but the paint doesnt seem to stick well arround my fender wells it started to peal.

Tearless has had better luck with this paint but I should known that the supra even with paint doesnt like cheap stuff and even with me currently taking autobody classes I just had to try it.

Well now the cars undergoing more body work to get all the dents out this bitch and Bomex lip kit all the way arround with a Turbo A duct with a Tri coat paint job.

Comming Soon Supradan22's $400 paintjob

samster

Jun 17, 2007
nyc
why not just use dupli-color cans? you could get a few truck black cans and a few cans of clear and it would looks nice and shinier then any roll on paint, but you'd never get less orange peel regardless. I'm not understnading how are you going bout with the last coat of paint also? you can't really sand that before the clear or it will look dull? and are you going to apply any clear at all? whats the point of polishing paint? the paint will just come right off its not as durable as clear. It's not really expensive for some onmi paint which is a branch company of ppg. Only reason painters charge alot is for labor, all the sanding, polishing and I ESPECIAllY HATE THE TAPING -=) but if your going for the same color and only spraying the outside that would take only a few hours to prep and blast. Do you have a compressor? if you have a compressor i don't see why you don't jsut blast it with some omni paint yourself. Reg black paint is just reg black paint ppg 6700 is the paint code, No black is black there is no differnt black. black might consist of pearls or mica, but black is blk, for the guys taht argue with me about their $10,000 lamborgini blk -=P yesh!. The clear is the most important part of definition, buy a expensive set-up and your clear would look like its wet all the time. It's not bout how many coats but the clear you choose. but for a around $300-$400 you can have an amazing paint job if you own a compressor? and didn't you say your schoolin for body work?if so wouldn't you be able to spray you car at school? I had two friends goto apex, They told me they didn't really learn much, but one of them painted his civic at apex. He just mixed a bunch of silver paints together to get enough to spray his car from school.

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
They call it a $50 paint job, but I can't imagine the time you would have to put in to make this look passable. It seems like a rattlecan with good prep work and dedication would take a lot less time and give MUCH better results (I am in NO WAY recommending this, lol).

I used to do body work and I can tell you - it is not brain surgery. Yes, there are some painters who are absolutely amazing and some that suck. The bottom line is a person who is detail oriented and precise (and maybe practices a bit) can lay down a decent paint job on their very first try.

I helped a guy paint his 93 RX7 in his garage and he seemed to be somewhat 'afraid' of using a paint gun. As soon as he got the hang of it - he was doing quite well.

I also painted a gsxr750 when I was out of town (obviously bikes are a bit easier) - I had to fully prep, paint (including some graphics) and clear race skins for a buddy who was racing the next day. I did all of it with sandpaper, bondo, and rattlecans from pep boys. The products were crap, but I spent a ton of time prepping and finishing - and it actually got a ton of compliments the next day.

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
themadhatter said:
if you shop around you can get a singal stage urathane or enaml for about 100 bucks so why don't you use that??

^^^ Yup.

Will look better and be easier to deal with.